51; 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 (𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐬)

Start from the beginning

in the base attack, they know that they won't win over seventeen with just mundane guards, a few ability users and some guns. one member, who can make portals, used his ability to get mingyu's sister in the base. and that member killed minhye in front of his bother.

it was unbearable.

when the lowering of kim minhye's casket was commenced, mingyu was crying silently. the others, like me, were just quiet and observing.

a little later, the funeral came to an end. we went to our van in a chunk, not minding to make any remark or start any conversation. it felt new. i've never felt this kind of atmosphere in seventeen before.

"mingyu, you can sleep on my shoulder if you want." i whisper to my sleepy seatmate, to which he responded with placing his head on my shoulder. "there you go."

i stroke his hair out of his face, watching his peaceful state. even asleep, his expression conveyed sadness. this is the least i could do to help mingyu, and i'm happy he took my hand that i stretched out for him. shutting yourself from the world where people are offering you help will only make your state worse. showing your vulnerability to people is okay, once in a while, so they could help you with your misery.

it's okay to be tired, vulnerable, sad. it's totally okay.

when we arrived at the base, everyone went on their own ways and did their thing. for me? i don't know what to do. where would i go? my room? the twelfth floor?

"i'll be leaving with seokmin-hyung and seungcheol-hyung, guys!" chan shouts. nobody bothered to reply.

i ended up going to the twelfth floor, wherein i met jihoon. he was still in his suit, sitting on a beach chair. on one hand, i see him holding a champagne glass. i approach him, and say, "is that even allowed for you?"

"i'm an adult." jihoon turned to me, not a trace of surprise on his face was seen. it's like he expected me here. "why are you looking at me like that?! i assure you, i am legal."

"if you say so." i steal the champagne glass from his hand, to which he furrowed his eyebrows on. i drank the champagne and gave him back the glass with a smile.

he scoffed at me, making me laugh a little. "you should get your own, lazy ass!"

"you're mean!" i crossed my arms playfully. "sharing is caring!"

"but do i care for you?" jihoon retorted, making me laugh. i hear him join in my laughing fit not too soon.

heh. soon. soonyoung. that's me. okay, i'll stop.

speaking of care: "i care for you, though, so take it easy. on champagne, i mean." i unbutton my suit, as it was too tight. it might pop when i'm sitting with it all buttoned up.

though i wasn't looking, i feel jihoon's gaze on me. i didn't know what that gaze meant, since i wasn't looking at him, so i was curious. if i look at him, would he look away? if that's so, i would never know. how about trying to read his mind?

it's not bad, just once, right?

i close my eyes and focus. focus, focus focus.

you look like you're trying to read my thoughts.

i jolt in surprise, reading that certain thought in jihoon's mind. i look at him, and he laughs. "you're cheating. if you wanted a piece of my mind, you should've just asked."

"then what are you thinking about?"

"you." jihoon says nonchalantly. "isn't it obvious? you didn't have to take a look in my mind."

through the blurry darkness, i see that jihoon was sincere. i didn't have to dig his mind for evidence, i just believed him when i looked into his eyes. "that's nice."

"you're all i can think about, of course, since you're here. talking to me." jihoon continued, "soonyoung, about everything that has happened...."

"hmm?" i hum.

"i'm sad about all that. jinha got shot, mingyu's sister was killed, pledis mafia is still on the move. but, i think your positivity rubbed of on me," jihoon smiled at me, sending chills down my smile. "if you weren't here, i wouldn't be able to smile even after all this."

"i'm glad i'm the reason behind your smiles," i say. "because it's goddamn beautiful."

a/n:

i won't be making a flashback on the day of the attack for the ones who stayed in the base, because it would take about two chapters, and that would be boring. just tune in the next chapters to know what happens, through soonyoung!