Chapter Twenty-Two: Resisting

Start from the beginning

"Nope, he has training."

"Does that mean I have to stay here alone?" I ask Cayton. Before, the idea seemed pleasing. However, after this morning, I realized that I don't like it too much. Especially knowing that some deranged werewolf Alpha is out there, though I don't think he will be a problem.

"I'm free," Carter says, smirking.

"Don't you have some whoring around to do?"

"You know, you're hurting my feelings," he says, placing a hand over his heart. I roll my eyes and turn to Cayton, who's watching this little exchange with some amusement.

"So I'm stuck with Count Dickula?"

He doesn't seem to like the idea too much, but I guess he realizes he's low on options.

"Don't worry, I'll take good care of her," Carter says, slinging his arm back around my shoulder. I scrunch my nose up in distaste and Cayton gives him a stern look, which seems to have little effect on him.

"Just keep your hands to yourself," Cayton says, his tone implying a threat to Carter if he doesn't obey. Carter chuckles and raises his hands as if to say 'I surrender'.

"Hey, tell that to her. She's going to be the one who has trouble keeping her hands to herself with me around," he says, motioning up and down his body as if it was God's gift to the world.

Yep, Carter's an asshole, who is testing how far he can push Cayton. So before Cayton says anything and starts some unnecessary yelling and/or fighting, I elbow Carter in the stomach, not too gently.

"You're right. I'll have a hard time keeping my fists away from his nose," I assure Cayton, at the same time trying to bring down Carter's seemingly inflated ego.

Cayton grabs me and pulls me in for a hug, and puts his mouth right next to my ear.

"If he gives you any trouble, call me and let me know. I'll come kick his ass," he whispers, his warm breath causing me to shiver.

"Will do," I say back, before cupping his cheek and stealing the kiss Carter so rudely interrupted. It ends too quickly though, courtesy of Carter's gagging noises in the background.

And that's the moment I realize Hunter is definitely the more likable of the two brothers.

*

"Give me the damn remote," I order Carter. He stubbornly shakes his head, keeping the remote in his hand. "But I don't want to watch this!" I fear for my life right now actually. Carter is really sadistic if he is willing to sit through '1,000 Ways to Die', and all the while laughing and force me to watch it.

"Ouch," he cringes at the image on the screen, which I cover my eyes from.

"Carter!"

"Oh quit whining! You get the remote to yourself all day, let me have a turn." He then turns up the volume.

"I never get the remote! Tami is just as bad as you are!"

"Sucks to suck, doesn't it?"

"This is why everyone likes your brother better," I mutter, crossing my arms over my chest and leaning back against the couch.

"Mhmm."

"And don't I have like some authority over you? I mean, I'm the Alpha's mate! So in that case, I command you to give me the remote!" I order.

He pauses, before sighing dramatically, as if he just lost some big battle. He holds out the remote to me and I smile broadly. Aha! So I do have authority over him. Sucker. I reach for the remote, but he quickly yanks it back, laughing.