Chapter Fifty-Two: The End?

Gulping, I start towards the front doors, opening them slowly as I peek out. I see Cayton, standing impatiently in front of the building, arms crossed across a bare chest. And, oh man, does he look angry.

"Is this about the water bill?" I ask, sticking my head out ever so slowly, smiling sheepishly. "Because I can cut back on showers for a few days if it makes up for it."

There's not an ounce of humor on his face, not an ounce of anything other than anger. I fight the urge to wince as his gaze only becomes increasingly harder. I look back inside, keeping the door mostly closed, and glare at the curly-haired boy. "Which one of you snitches told on me?"

He shakes his head, "Neither of us said a thing, he just showed up." Cursing quietly, I open the door fully and put on my sweetest smile.

I walk to Cayton, trying to put a bit of pep in my step. "Well, thanks for coming to escort me back," I yawn dramatically, stretching my arms above my head, "we should probably get back to bed."

He stares at me, eyes hard and posture rigid. He doesn't say a word, and it's much more unsettling than him just getting it over with and berating me. I pause, before turning back and waving at the two boys goodbye. They look at each other, and then hesitantly wave back.

"We'll talk at home," I say quietly, so only Cayton can hear. "Please."

He stares a bit longer before huffing, turning and heading back the way I had come. I follow, trying to appear as though nothing is wrong. Once we're in the treeline, Cayton stops and starts removing his shorts. I raise my eyebrows.

"Y'know, if you want to just bang one out--"

"We're running back," he says, clearly not amused. "Shift."

Sighing, I start with my pants, pouting just the slightest when he doesn't even check me out.

You seriously need to figure out your priorities, Wolfette says.

I don't deal with anger well alright, I try to diffuse.

Oh yeah, you're doing great.

I roll my eyes at Wolfette and remove my shirt, placing it with the rest of my clothes on the ground. Cayton looks at me once and I watch as he shifts, becoming his midnight black wolf. Wolfette practically purs in my mind.

Oh, now who's the one that needs to figure out their priorities? I point out childishly.

There's no response, so I shift, happy that once again the pain isn't anywhere near as bad as the first. I'm sure it gets easier over time, but memories of the first are still fresh in my mind and I worry it will be like that again.

Once I'm ready, huffing and shaking out my fur, Cayton starts to run, not waiting for me. I quickly gather my clothes in my mouth and take off after him.

The run back is a silent one, despite my best attempts at making it a bit more bearable. Every time I catch up to Cayton, he pulls ahead just enough that I'm not by his side. Eventually, I just settle for following behind him, pouting and grumbling to myself.

It seems like forever until we get back home, but when we break through the trees and the front door comes into view, Cayton skids to a halt and I do as well. He looks at me once again, before shifting back and becoming the lovable but very angry human Cayton once again. Sighing, I shift back as well, picking my clothes up and holding them close to me, suddenly feeling a bit more self-conscious about my nakedness.

He bounds the steps up to the front door, and I follow quietly behind, putting on my shirt as I do. The level of comfort in which he walks around naked is something I'm sure I'll need to find as well if I'm going to keep up with this whole shifting business.