Part 63

The cafe was bustling with life, people coming in and out every few minutes and the countless waiters running around serving customers

The cafe was bustling with life, people coming in and out every few minutes and the countless waiters running around serving customers. By one of the giant windows sat two teenage girls, sitting down while sipping on some bubble tea they had previously ordered.

Haeun felt slightly tense, seeing her friend's unusually saddened expression.

"Will you tell me what's going on?" She put down her drink, staring at her.

Yuri bit her lip, unable to look her friend in the eye as she thought she was going to burst out into tears. "I'm moving." She stated shortly.

Haeun's expression fell slowly, now a shocked look on her face.

"What?"

"I need to move soon." Yuri swallowed, feeling goosebumps all over her body.

Haeun was silent for a minute, letting the news dawn on her. She licked her lips before looking up again. "Where?"

"Abroad. My parents want to send me to live in the US with my aunt and cousins." The other explained, feeling her nose tickling as an indication that tears would be shed soon.

"When are you going?" Haeun's voice was quiter, sadder.

"In 2 weeks at the latest."

"Was this because..." The young gang leader swallowed, feeling the lump in her throat begin to prevent her from breathing properly. "Because of the kidnapping?"

Yuri took a deep breath, forcing a soft smile onto her lips. "My parents were really, really worried. But don't worry, that wasn't the only reason. They had already planned on sending me abroad, but not this early. I was supposed to go there for college..." She muttered out the last part, her voice beginning to crack.

Haeun sat there in silence, the guilt crashing down on her. It had been her fault that her friend was abducted and had to leave. All her fault.

She sniffled. "Isn't this for the best? That way you won't be in danger because of me again." 

Tears flooded Yuri's eyes as she looked down, a sob escaping her lips. Haeun bit her lip and looked down, trying her best not to burst out crying as well.

"It wasn't your fault, Haeunnie." Yuri choked out, trying to get herself together. "I never blamed you, and still won't. You're my best friend." 

Haeun felt her chest tighten at those words. "I'm sorry, Yuri-ah."

That was what sent them both over the edge of the cliff, breaking down into tears. The many people around them stared at them weirdly, but they did not care.

Yuri got up and made her way around the table, crouching down beside her friend's chair and engulfind her in a hug.  Haeun couldn't stop weeping, wrapping her arms around the other's shoulder tightly.