Chp. 40

-

RILEY’S POV-

The encounter had happened so fast, Jenson’s emotions flooding through me. I grabbed her arm as everything went in slow motion. I was face to face with Bren, I could see the pain and the anger in his eyes, those dark eyes that were so haunting.

He needed someone to save him.

I heard the loud bang of the gun, Jenson’s scream behind me, and the pain in my stomach. My eyes were wide with pain, I wanted to scream but blood only filled my mouth. I fell to my knees but I was numb, all I could focus on was the white pain shooting through my body.

My dad’s face flashed before my eyes, I was never going to be able to talk to him again… he would come home to a funeral and a casket for his last member of his family… I was letting him down, I was letting Jenson down… I was letting Them down.

I was holding Jenson’s hand, I wanted to kiss her… I needed her, I didn’t want to leave her. We had so much going for us… I didn’t want to die yet…

I whispered, “Please…” but pain only shot through my body, blood seeping from my mouth.

I hadn’t even realized Jenson had already called the ambulance, and was kneeling next to me in the grass. She knelt close to my face, her eyes bloodshot, she had blood on her white blouse, “Riley… please, please stay with me baby… don’t die! Look at me!”

My eyes must’ve been closing at the tone of her voice, and I was right.

My eyes shut, but I could still feel and hear everything. I was gripping Jenson’s hand hard as my body went into spasms, the shock form the pain was overwhelming, then I heard the sirens.

Jenson whispered, “Riley please…” she was sobbing hysterically, “Please don’t give up…”

I wanted to comfort her, tell her everything would be ok, tell her that I would live… but I couldn’t, because I didn’t know.

I was going to die, this was my purpose, my purpose was to die so that Jenson could live.

I wanted to cry, so my real life, the one I had before Jenson… was all just part of the bigger plan? Or was this payback for Jake’s death? I could hear Jenson’s voice, she was begging me not to die, and I was trying, I was trying for her.

“Riley please… please don’t die…” I could feel her hands on the hole in my stomach, trying to stop the bleeding but there was no use. I knew what my fate was, and it was to die on this cold, wet, grass at midnight.

Then I wasn’t blank anymore, I could see, but this wasn’t the normal sight.

I was looking down at Jenson, she was riding in the ambulance and holding hands with… me. So I was dead, I had died on the way to the hospital. I looked like hell, the hole in my stomach that was covered with tons of gauze.

I touched Jenson’s shoulder, and she felt it, turning swiftly, but seeing right past me. I felt the pain, the remorse for leaving her. The pain she had, it was no longer inside me, I could no longer sense what she was feeling.

That meant I was no longer her Angel.

***

I was in a room of pure white, nothing beyond or behind me, but I was at peace. There was no anxiety, no pain, nothing. Just peace.

But I still missed Jenson, why couldn’t I see her? I wanted to see her, I wanted to make sure she was ok. Was my body still in the hospital? How long has it been?