Chp. 15

-RILEY’S POV-

So people fell in love with their Humans frequently, and it wasn’t looked down upon, even if I was a girl. I was shocked of course, but I was accepting it because… well I could.

I was sitting in Jake’s truck, in the back seat while I listened to them silently speak about where they were going. They decided just on dinner and I was glad, last thing I wanted to do was sit there for two hours and watch them make out.

Sitting here I felt useless, like a loser, watching my best friend go on a date with another one of my best friends. It hurt to see that, because I knew what was happening to me, I was falling in love with Jenson. I had tried to prevent it, but there was no use… she was just to easy to love.

I didn’t let anyone in, and I had yet to let Jenson in, but I knew she was getting under my skin more then I planned.

After Haley, my ex-girlfriend, screwed me over I couldn’t let myself love anyone. My heart was torn, and no one was able to fix it. That’s why I got into so much alcohol and partying and such, because I wanted an escape from reality. I wanted escape from the pain inside my chest… and that was my way out.

Now, Jenson comes along and makes me fall, hard, and I can’t get back up without her. It frightened me, because I was so vulnerable. She had control over me, and she didn’t even know it, because I couldn’t tell her the truth.

About anything.

They got to the restaurant and had small talk, and then Jenson brought me up, “I’m worried about Riley.”

Jake looked at her from his plate, he knew about me, and about me being a lesbian. He titled his head, “Why?”

“Because… she seems so… sad all the time. She’s scared I’m gonna leave her for you, and I feel pressure to be with her all the time just because I don’t want her to hurt. And don’t get me wrong, I love spending time with her… I just feel bad for her, like there’s something on her mind, and she won’t tell me.”

I knew what Jake was thinking, he was thinking I was liking Jenson, and he was right. I whispered in his ear, “You better not tell her.”

He swung his head to the left, in my direction but saw right past me. He looked at Jenson and the shrugged it off, “I don’t know, it could just be she’s been having a bad week…”

She shook her head, picking at her plate, “I don’t know Jake… I’m worried.”

He grabbed her hand, “Don’t be, Riley’s strong, she’s okay…”

Jenson’s emotions let their way in and I clenched my fist, the worry, then the happiness. The thing was, I wasn’t okay, I needed someone to protect me… but if They thought I could do it, well I wasn’t going to let them down.

Jenson needed me, and I needed her, and I couldn’t let my feelings affect that, but it was easier said then done.

Jake looked up at Jenson, and I knew he liked her, but he didn’t like her that much, not as much as Jenson liked him. It was going to end bad, I knew it was going to, but I was ready for Jenson to need me. I was ready to comfort her and take some of the pain away, even if it was going to put me through hell on the inside.

Jake smiled at Jenson, “You look really gorgeous tonight.”

Jenson blushed, and I grimaced, rolling my eyes in the process, How original Jake…

“You think? It was kind of last minute.”

“Of course I think, I’m lucky,” his smiled radiated off of him, I clenched my fist. This was hard, so I was soon sitting in Jake’s backseat alone, waiting for them to leave the restaurant. I didn’t need to hear anymore of his bullshit he was going to feed to her, and if she was going to believe it… well that’s her problem.

Finally Jake and Jenson emerged from the restaurant, holding hands, and Jake opened the door for Jenson. They climbed in and started along the road, never letting the conversation die.

Then Jake’s phone rang.

It was another girl, and the look on Jenson’s face was priceless, she looked at Jake, “You gonna answer that?”

Jake shrugged, “No, why?”

Jenson leaned back in her seat, obviously hurt that he wasn’t going to tell her the reason this girl was calling him on the night of their date. He sighed, “Jenson… I-”

“It’s fine Jake, it’s not like we’re dating… you’re still available,” the spitefulness in Jenson’s voice was amazing, and I wanted to laugh.

Jake had been caught in the act of playing her, and she knew I was right about him all along. Jake tried defending his title, “Jen… she’s just a friend…”

They arrived at her house and Jenson gathered her things, “Drive safe Jake,” then she slammed the car door behind her. I was beside her, walking and joining her in the house, but she didn’t know I was here.

She raced past her parents and the questions about the date and locked herself in her room. She sat on her bed, looking at her phone and texting, most likely me. Good thing my phone was at home.

She had tears in her eyes, but she was trying not to break, she was trying to be strong but I knew it was hard for her. It was hard for her just as hard as it was for me, but it was ten times worse in my situation. I could feel the way Jenson felt around Jake, I could hear every little thing they spoke about if I wanted… but I decided not to. I had leverage, of course, but it doesn’t mean that I didn’t feel bad for Jenson, because I did, she was going to have to learn the hard way…

I was home, picking up my phone off my bed and reading the message, “You were right, Jake’s most likely playing me. A girl called his phone on our way home… can I come over?”

She

wanted to come over here? How was that going to work? She was going to find out that my dad didn’t live here… but I had no logical way of getting to her place at this time of night. I could always just travel like I usual did as an Angel, but she would question me… but I had no car…

Well that’s not true, I had my mom’s old jeep in the garage.

I had a license, but I decided not to drive it everywhere because it wasn’t insured.

I thought long and hard, should I just let her come over? See my place? Let her know the truth about me?

Would she accept the fact that I lied to her for so long about my family? Would she hate me, and shut me out of her life?

I looked at my phone, slowly replying, Sure.

Well I guess I was going to find out tonight.