Chapter Thirteen

5th of March, 11:43 am

RUEL'S POV

For some people, shock hits immediately, like Mia. Sometimes, shock doesn't ever come but for me, it hit me as soon as her body was lowered into the ground and we went home. My family came and went for each day but it had all been a blur for the last week. I didn't even remember what I ate for breakfast this morning. Did I even have breakfast? Who knows but I didn't care, I ate when I was hungry, slept when I was tired and for the rest of that, I sat in my looking at the ceiling or watched reruns of Friends, she loved that show. I had turned my phone off for the whole week, I didn't need to feel or see the pressure of needing to post something just for the sake of the fans. But what was I going to post anyways? My album was already delayed and I hadn't even written a song I could do a music video about. If something urgent happened, my mum would tell me but most things went into one ear and out the other but today felt different. I seemed to have the energy to turn on my phone and get out of bed. As the warm water hit my back in the shower, Be My Mistake played from ym shower speaker, y/n's favourite song and it took me back to the times where when we both couldn't sleep, we would facetime. I would sing that for her until I saw her eyelids flutter shut and I would keep the call going until her phone went flat. I turn my phone on, the group chat's messages being the first thing appearing.

I jogged downstairs after finding my board shorts to see Coco on her laptop, doing Uni work.

C: 'Look who's up'

R: 'Where's mum?'

C: 'Out, I don't know?' she says as she types away, her eyes fixated on the screen.

I grab a towel from the linen closet before leaving and walking down to the beach where I saw my friends setting up a picnic. As I approach the group my face lights up as I see them smile and my heart skips a beat when I see Mia wave at me. I wave back, dropping my towel next to the cans of beer

R: 'It's 11 am, who brought drinks?'

G: 'Take a wild guess' He says as the whole group looks at Mia

M: 'Hey! It's Saturday, ok?' she says, throwing her hands up in defence.

I throw my top off, the last of the summer sun hitting my skin as I walk into the freezing cold water slowly. I heard laughs and quick splashes behind me and before I knew it, I felt two small hands pushing me into the freezing cold seawater. I turn around to see Mia giggling but I quickly stand up, pulling her into the water with me. She screams as my arms tighten around her and she covers her face as it hits the water.

M: 'Bitch-'

R: 'You did it to be first!' she laughed in reply as our faces were suddenly a couple of centimetres away but I quickly stood up, running my hands through my hair.

Everyone quickly follows us into the water as we all float and talk, completely forgetting about the past events of the week. I kneel in the water as I feel a body wrap themselves around my back, I could feel her hand dripping over my shoulder and I turn my head, looking at Mia's smiling face. Something just felt right about it when I suddenly connected her lips with mine. I feel her smile against my lips before she pulls away with a blush on her face and then lets go of my body. We both walked to shore where Tilly was drying herself off, watching us as we dripped with water.

T: 'Seriously Mia?' she says as we both pick up towels, I pretend not to listen as I pick up my phone and scroll through my settings.

M: 'What are you talking about?' she mumbles as she pats her face dry.

T: 'His girlfriend has just been announced dead two days ago, and you think it's a good idea to go around kissing him?'

R: 'I kissed her Tills so calm down. It's not her fault, ok?' I speak up