A Year Without You: Chapter 4

It was only a week into the school year but Umi was already feeling extremely lonely. Without the third years, without μ's, without Eli.

Suddenly she got a text from Kotori.

Kotori 🐣:
I have some bad news but also some good news! It's about Eli.

As soon as Umi read that message she felt her heart speed up. Kotori was the only one who knew about Umi's crush on Eli. Could something have happened to Eli?

Umi 💙:
What is it?!

Kotori 🐣:
Well the good news is, she's dating Nozomi, we should be happy for her right? The bad news is, she's dating Nozomi! You still like her right? I hope you're okay!

Umi felt furious. She had always been jealous of Nozomi for being so close with Eli but she never thought this would happen. She felt her eyes start to water, but she quickly wiped away her tears.

Umi 💙:
That's great!

She tried to sound happy for them but she couldn't be more upset.
She shoved her head into her pillow as tears started to fall onto it.

Bling!

She tried wiped away her tears and grabbed her phone.

Kotori 🐣:
You're not upset? I just wanna make sure you're okay!

Umi 💙:
It's fine, no need to worry.

Kotori 🐣:
Are you sure?

Umi 💙:
Yeah.

Umi put her phone down and went to bed early. She decided she would skip school the next day.

-----------

"Where is Umi?" Honoka asked.

"I'm not sure! She's usually not late... Maybe something is wrong." Kotori said as she remembered what she had told her last night.

They two went to class. All Kotori could think of was her friend Umi being hurt by Eli and Nozomi's relationship. 'I really do hope Umi is okay.' Kotori thought.

'Hmm, I wonder what's up with Umi.' Honoka thought. The only thing she could possibly think of was her having a crush on either Nozomi or Eli since they just became a couple.
Honoka grabbed a small piece of paper and wrote 'Does Umi like Eli? Or Nozomi?' And passed it to Kotori.
Kotori knew she couldn't lie, but she also couldn't tell Honoka without permission. So she just didn't respond to Honoka's note.
'Why isn't Kotori answering me?' Honoka thought.

When class was over Honoka and Kotori walked out the class before Honoka asked her "Why didn't you respond?"
"I uhh, h-have to ask Umi first!" Kotori answered.
"Oh okay!" Honoka said as the two girls kept walking.

Kotori grabbed out her phone and sent a text to Umi.

Kotori 🐣:
Why didn't you come to school today?

Umi 💙:
I don't know, just didn't feel like it.

Kotori 🐣:
Umi tell me the truth.