40; paul's birthday part two

July 24th, 2020, 6:13pm

Paul heard a knock at his door. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Typically he and the stage manager were the only ones at the theater at this hour. But he yelled "Come in!" anyway, expecting his dresser or the stage manager to bound in asking a question. Instead, he got a face he hadn't seen in awhile. Dawn Berlitz appeared, slightly sweaty with her hair tied up in a ponytail.

The girl lightly smiled, whispering while entering, "Happy Birthday!"

"Please, Dawn. You can save it, I hate my birthday." He paused and then asked, "Why are you here?"

"I actually have a quick gift for you. But I have to get going to my own theater shortly."

The man rolled his eyes, "Okay then, let's get this over with."

She smiled sardonically, pulling a tiny wrapped box out of her backpack. She handed it to the man as she asked sarcastically, "Aren't you happy to see me?"

"You could say that," Paul replied. He unwrapped the tiny box and uncovered its cap to reveal a piece of jewelry? "Jewelry, Dawn?"

"It's a dog tag," the blunette explained. "It's more of a thank you than anything really."

The man read the inscription on the front side. It read:

Who can say what dreams are?

The other side read:

This is the season for dreaming.

Ah, a line from the show. The gesture was nice, but Paul was not a jewelry man. He stiffly replied, "Thanks."

"It's mainly for decoration. But I really mean it, you've done so much for me Paul, you've helped me achieve my literal dream, and I really wanted to find a way to repay you."

"It's fine Dawn." Again, he stiffly said, "I appreciate it."

"It was the least I could do," she smiled widely. "I wish we could talk but I have to head over to the Longacre. Have a great day, show, and I'll see you August 3rd!"

And with a whip of her ponytail, she was gone.