Chapter 11 - A Very Long Day

Start from the beginning

She turned away from him so as not to reveal her plan too early. It was important that he didn't know, because he wasn't very skilled at hiding his thoughts and feelings. It was surprising, Sofia thought sometimes, that he was a maker of masks, when he couldn't mask himself at all.

She hoped dearly that he would come with her, as he had said he would. But at the same time, she was afraid of putting him in danger.

Though not as afraid as she was of being alone, here in the farthest region of Nihon, where the mountains reached right into the sky.

When they were finally allowed outside, Sofia was surprised to see that they had stopped at a large square building with a low flat roof. The building was mostly open at the sides, so that the inside was visible. It seemed to be a kind of inn, or travelpost. Large wooden tables and benches filled the huge open space. The whole setting had a simplicity that made Sofia feel much more at ease than the usual false splendor she kept encountering in Nihon.

Two women came out to greet them. They were wearing long dresses with a red and yellow pattern, held together with a red sash, and their hair was done up in simple buns. Sofia thought that they looked extremely pretty and friendly. They were obviously holding themselves back so as not to run towards Mother. But when she opened her arms, they went to her.

"Mother!" the younger of the two exclaimed. "We heard you were back. We didn't dare believe it."

"It was a long time," Mother said. "It's good to be home."

"You are most welcome to come in," the second woman said. She had a more serious but equally kind demeanour.

"I have brought guests," Mother said with a gesture towards the children who were observing the encounter with much curiosity.

The younger woman clasped her hands in front of her chest, and the other hugged her closely to her with one arm.

"They are lovely, wonderful. And so many." She looked at Mother with tears in her eyes. "What would we do without you, Mother."

They both invited all of them in, and the younger woman kept fussing over Orì, tousling her hair and asking her about past occurrences and if she could remember them.She didn't notice Orì's discomfort. Nobody did, Sofia thought, except for her. Their eyes met, and it was enough for Sofia to know that this was where it would happen.

She took Ami's arm and, acting as if she was excited to be there, she pulled him towards the furthest corner of one of the tables.

"Come, Ami, let's sit here. I'm hungry! Do you smell that?" Sofia looked around as if searchingly. "Orì? Come sit with us!" she called.

Orì smiled, and as if suddenly shy, looked at her mother for permission.

Mother was in a happy mood.

"Go with your friends," she said. She turned to the women. "The children have become so close during our long travels. They are really remarkable, and so talented."

The two women beamed.

"Maybe - maybe there will be a little demonstration later on?"

"Once stomachs have been filled," Mother replied with a playful wag of her finger.

"Certainly, Mother," the women said and started to busy themselves.

While the children were sitting down, some quickly, others with excruciating shyness, dishes of steaming soup with dumpling appeared in front of them. The smell was intoxicating, delicious as well as comforting.

"Is this real?" Sofia asked.

Orì laughed.

"Oh Sofia. You still have so much to learn. How will you ever -." She didn't finish the sentence.