Seven

Charlie

A whole week has gone by since the school started. Everyone has gotten used to the metal detectors at the entrance, but the policemen in each hallway were still creating problems.

They would stop anyone on their way and would start checking their bags. As if people carry guns in their school bags.

After Clay's fight with Diego and Luke last Monday, both of my teammates had started giving me cold shoulders because of my friendship with him. They listened to me on the field, but I'm pretty sure Coach Kerba could also feel the tension in the team.

But the thing I was mostly worried about was what Diego had said to Clay, before Clay started to punch Luke.

'Monty took the fall for you, Jensen.'

I actually don't know why Diego even said that, but it had me thinking about the fact that they will actually do something to get the truth out.

High School is so stressful.

Hoping that this week will go normally I passed through the metal detectors, but the scene in front had me wondering why god sometimes hates me?

'MONTY WAS FRAMED'

This was spray-painted in red on the doors of the admin's office. There was another thing, I think it was a symbol, but the janitor had already managed to rub it off.

Principal Bolan was there with Sheriff Diaz, and he was telling students to continue their way to the classes.

I caught sight of Jessica and Alex in the crowd, but both of them just hurried away to their classes with panic clear on their face. Justin and Clay both glanced at me, but it was Tyler who actually approached me.

"Hey, Charlie." Tyler greeted me, with his camera in hand. "I'm sorry we couldn't hung out last week. I've been showing the new student around."

"Oh, that's okay, Tyler." I said genuinely, and happy that he got another friend around to talk to. "I have been busy too with the coach, we are starting practice today."

Contrary to what has happened today, Tyler seemed calm. He didn't looked worried about the graffiti, like at all. He was looking through the photos on his camera when I noticed that he actually took the photos of the graffiti.

"Principal Bolan wants me to share this photos with the police." Tyler informed me proudly, as I glanced through the photos too.

There was a photo of the weird symbol too, but I was sure that I haven't seen it before.

"What the fuck?" Tony whispered, as he joined us in the corridor. "What is the football team thinking?"

At first I got confused, but then I realised that it was possible that the football team actually did the graffiti. Mostly, I was suspicious of Diego.

"Do you really think it was the football team?" Tyler asked in whisper, looking at me and Tony both.

"Who else, huh?" Tony was frustrated now, it was clear. "You heard Diego, right Charlie? He is so sure that Monty didn't murdered Bryce."

I couldn't disagree, because it was actually true.

"Look, everyone on the team is kind of against me right now," I truthfully told them. "They are sure that I'm hiding things too."

"Any problem there, you three?" It was Principal Bolan, looking at all of us. "The seniors will be notified when the buses for the campus tour will leave, Mr. Down & Mr. Padilla. As for you, Mr. St. George, I'm sure the coach is expecting you. So I request you three to get going."

We didn't dared to say anything, and just went our ways after nodding at each other.

Coach Kerba had messaged everyone on the team to meet him first thing today, so I wasn't shocked to see the rest of the team waiting in the locker room.

"And the captain is finally here!" It was Luke who informed everyone, as all of them turned to look at me. "Where were you anyway? Beecher saw your car arriving just when he came inside the building."

"Probably talking with his new friends." Diego replied, smirking at me. "Which one of you got tired of hiding, that they have to spray-paint the office doors?"

"Why don't you tell me?" I asked him. "Why don't you tell everyone how you got here earlier and spray-painted those doors. I'm pretty sure everyone, especially Bolan and all the policemen would be interested to hear this."

"Seriously? You're pinning this on me? You know what, I think it was that Jensen kid, he is all crazy in his head."

"You don't know Clay at all to say that."

"After he started punching Luke out of nowhere? We don't need Sherlock to see he's crazy. Or maybe it's the one who tried to kill himself, that Standall. I don't think he have much to loose anyway."

I couldn't stand hearing all this about my friends, about Alex, that's why I was about to hold him by his collar, but another authoritical voice interrupted us.

"Alright, enough is enough!" Coach Kerba shouted, anger evident on his face. "Torres! You don't have any right to say all this things about others. I want you running ten laps on the field later."

Diego went to explain something, but Coach wasn't here to listen to any excuses.

"St. George," He turned towards me. "I made you the captain because I saw how you have a steady mind. I saw you have the potential to keep things in check even under pressure, but I saw how you were loosing your anger right now. I don't expect this from you."

I just kept my head down knowing that once the coach was pissed, it's better to let him talk so that he would cool down.

"This is exactly why I called you all here." He said as he looked at each and every one of us. "You boys thought I wouldn't notice how you were acting? I know it's been hard on some of you because Monty was your good friend."

He stopped right in front of Diego when he said that, and put both his hands on Diego's shoulders.

"I understand that you don't believe everything that's been said." Coach continued, looking at Diego as he met his eyes. "But don't you think Monty wouldn't want all this fighting in the team itself?"

He patted Diego's shoulders, and then came to stand in the centre.

"Monty wasn't that innocent as some of you may still think, but he treated each and everyone of you as his brother. And he definitely wouldn't want the team loosing because no one can keep their head calm."

Everyone remained silent, just looking down and meeting coach's eyes.

"Montgomery de la Cruz was a football player," He continued. "A senior, and he would've wanted to win this season because it was his last before graduation. So now you decide, do you want to win the remaining match or not?"

We all knew that the Coach was right, because all this wouldn't do any good for our matches. Everyone nodded at the Coach, even Diego with a determined look in his eyes.

"Don't mind me, but I need to be sure. So, tell me Torres, did you or did you not spray-painted those doors or not?"

Everyone looked at Diego, as the coach asked this. But Diego wasn't guilty, it was clear because he replied looking in the Coach's eyes, and mine too.

"I didn't spray-painted those doors, and I don't know anything about it."

So if Diego didn't do it, who else wants the truth out so badly?

××××××××××××××××××

I really wish the series writer would've put more of Charlie in Season 4, because Alex's content is much more than his.
That's why I had to write this chapter on my own about how things must've happened in the team.

Tell me how it is.

Also, vote and comment!