Twenty-Four

Alex

So, I may have fucked up by ditching Jessica in the forest. 

I decided to partner with her because, well, everyone else had already chosen their partners. Most people were with the ones they were bunking with, and as I was bunking with my father it wasn't a possibility for me.

Zach was with Charlie, while Tyler and Tony were partners for this stupid treasure hunt. That's why I asked Jessica first thing in the morning and she agreed.

It was fine at first, but then we heard a scream echo around the forest which resembled Clay's.

After Diego's confession last night about how much he misses Monty, I was damn sure that he would be messing with Clay again. But Jessica said she had him under control, and he wouldn't be troubling Clay now.

I still don't trust him though.

And after that everything happened suddenly. She put her hand under some rocks in hopes of retrieving a clue, but instead her hand got attacked with some small and yellowish worms. 

It all became too much for me by just the sight of those worms. I started feeling nauseous and vomited my whole breakfast out under a tree.

Then I sprinted.

So yeah, Jessica must be pissed.

Now I sat on a bench at the hilltop, looking around the valley. Nature was calming me as I was lost in my thoughts again.

Yesterday night was one of the worst. Everything that has been happening around me, that I had been ignoring by distracting myself with Winston Williams finally caught up to me. 

Clay's behavior and the football team's obsession with him. How Zach's been spending his days drinking and hooking up with random girls at night. Tyler being weird, while Tony had been fighting and Jessica trying to keep Diego under her hook.

The irony is I thought everyone should be worried about Charlie hanging with Estela de la Cruz, but here was I making out with a person who was more dangerous for myself than anybody else.

I haven't even asked Justin how he had been after the rehab. That much of a worst friend I was and I hated myself for it. I knew things would never return to normal after what I did and how much the others knew, but this was too much. 

Truth is I was angry at Clay and Ani for not telling everyone about Winston beforehand, which led to him using me and Tyler for information. Both of them said they would handle things and there was no need to worry.

Clearly, everything was not normal and we should start worrying about things.

Sometimes I think of confessing everything. It will all be over for others, at least.

I heard footsteps approaching me which broke me out of my thought-forest. It was Tyler, looking around with a camera-in-hand.

"Hey." He turned around and greeted me, and I greeted him back.

"Hey."

"You, uh, ditch the hunt too?" He asked, looking back at the forest.

"Yeah, it was stupid." I nodded. 

Let's be honest, the whole camping trip was stupid.

"Yeah." He agreed, and kind of looked nervous. "Can I?"

"Yeah, go right ahead." I replied, motioning beside me as he also sat on the bench.

As he looked around the valley, I knew he wasn't just roaming around. Even if we don't get to hang out much these days, I could still read him. He was nervous right now and wanted to talk about something.