Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

"Try Maddy, it's gotta be Maddy,"

"Doesn't Maddy feel a little obvious as a cypher key?"

We are in Stiles' bedroom. Lydia, Stiles, and I trying to find the code that her Grandmother had left for Lydia to figure it out.

"I guarantee it's Maddy," Stiles continues at Lydia, wanting her to type in Maddy.

"Lyds, just do it, the worse thing that could happen is it doesn't open list." I tell her and she sighed heavily.

She types in the word 'MADDY'. It beeps, declining the name. "Okay, your name," Stiles suggests again. "She left the code for you, right? So, it's gotta be your name."

Lydia inhaled sharply and types her name 'LYDIA'. Again, it beeps, declining the name. "Your Mums name?" I suggested also. Stiles and I stand either side of each other, while Lydia sits in the spinning chair.

She types in 'NATALIE'. It declines the name again. "Do you have any beloved family pets?" Stiles questions her. Lydia groaned.

Half an hour later, I laid on Stiles' bed, somewhat having a nap with my eyes closed but I could still hear them talking, trying to figure out names.

"The ashes were left for you," Stiles repeats. "The code was left for you. You're supposed to be able to figure this out."

"But no one else is," Lydia mumbles. "Which is why she made it hard." The beeping off the printer went off. Lydia sighs. I cracked open an eye and sat up. I sat cross-legged.

"No one else," I repeat her words, causing the pair to look at me. "No one else but you."

"What?" Lydia asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Our guesses," I continue. "They're all about Lorraine. Right? We keep trying to guess a word that has something do to with her. So, maybe we should be trying to guess one that's about you."

"Me?" Lydia questions as I get off the bed and walked over to them. "What about me?"

"What do you remember doing with your Grandmother?" I questioned her. "You know, what was your guys' like, special thing? Did you guys go to the beach? You know, did you like ice cream or..."

"We read," she cuts me off from listing a bunch of other activities.

I nodded my head. Okay, this is good. "Okay, what did you guys' read?"

"The Little Mermaid," Lydia answers, causing a smile to form on my face. I love The Little Mermaid, but personally, when I was little my favourite Disney Princess was Rapunzel.

"You read that movie?" Stiles questions besides me, his eyes widening and I shoot him a 'what the hell' look.

"It was a book first," Lydia and I corrected him in unison.

"Hans Christen Anderson," Lydia continued.

"Type in, Little Mermaid," Stiles suggested. Lydia sighs and typed in 'LITTLE MERMAID'. It was another error. Lydia types in 'Mermaid'. It's another error.

"We read it every night," Lydia informed us. "I got so obsessed with it, for three months I wouldn't respond to anything but Ariel. It drove my parents crazy, but... Grandma thought it was adorable."

She then types in the word 'ARIEL' and just like that, she had unlocked the list. My eyes scanned at the bottom of the list, there was her name.

Lorraine Martin. "You recognise any of these?" Stiles questioned as he referred to the other names above Lydia's Grandma's.

"Just my Grandmother," Lydia shakes her head. I looked over and listened as the printer was printing. Stiles had walked over and snatched a piece of paper that had been printed out.