Happily Ever After?

Diana

"I knew it! I just knew it, baby." Aeron said with excitement once we were out of Emma's driveway.

"Oh yeah?" I asked mischievously.

"Of course. Lately you haven't been the same. I knew something was up. And you wanted to visit my sister." I looked away shyly out the window of the car. "So what did you think?"

"About Emma?" He nodded.

"She's sweet. And she looks just like you."

"Yeah, it wasn't hard for her to look like my mom on a few visits to the principal's office or doctor appointments." I laughed.

"She seems happy."

"She does."

"And happier now that she knows that you're alive and well."

"Yeah, alive and well." He grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips. "I love you, Diana."

"I know." I responded softly.

The drive felt longer going back to our house. Probably because I was asleep going to Emma's. Once we got back, Aeron turned off the car and looked at me.

"We need to talk."

"About what?" I responded innocently.

"Diana, I think you know 'about what.'" I looked down. "Why have you been so distant? You tell me you're pregnant but you're not even excited about that. Normal couples would be talking each other's ears off on the way home about the baby. What we want to name them and what gender we hope them to be."

"We're not a normal couple, Aeron."

"What?" He whispered. I felt empty inside. I wanted to curl up into a ball and just fall asleep peacefully without any nightmares. My no response had Aeron asking me a question I dreaded. "Are you having trouble sleeping lately? Be honest with me. That dream you had on the way to my sister's. You're always asleep before me, and you never fall asleep before me. Tell me, please. We're going to have a baby together here soon and we need to start this family on the same page."

I looked at Aeron with tears in my eyes. "I don't know what to think. The image of you turning around ... with that stain of blood on your shirt ... I can't get it out of my head." His eyes narrowed and he frowned. His face is so perfect. Why does a perfect face like his have to hide so many secrets? "Aeron, I've been having dreams of you killing those who ... hurt us."

"Hurt you, Diana. And I'm never going to allow anyone to ever again hurt a hair on your head."

"I understand, but honey, I can't stomach the thought of you killing someone if you don't like them."

"Jasper tried killing you, babe. I didn't not like him, I loathed him. I despised the man."

"I don't want our kids finding this out about you." He stared at me blankly.

"I'm a monster again in your eyes." I shook my head.

"Aeron, that is not what I'm trying to say."

"No, Diana, that is exactly what you're trying to get at. I should have never told you that I killed Jasper and the others."

"Maybe." I said under my breath, folding my arms and looking out the window. My neck was hurting from being in that position so much today.

"Diana, how can I change it?"

"You can't change history."

"What can I change about me that you're still unhappy about?" He half yelled.

I whipped my head to him. "Is that all you care about? Making me happy?"

"Yes!"

"Why!"

"Because I love you, Diana! I need you! And if you're happy with me then you'll never leave me again."

"Aeron—"

"I don't want you to think of me as possessive and crazy. I know I was in the beginning. But ... I'll keep changing for you. Even if I don't want to change, it's making me a better person."

"Are you happy when you change for me?"

"Diana, the only time I'm happy is when you are. Only you bring me joy in this hell of a life." I was taken back by his words. "Baby, I ... I don't think I can live without you. I want to have kids with you. I want to leave behind a legacy of our love. I want to have a life with you until we die of old age. I want you. Can't you accept that? When you love someone, you try to make them happy. I'm trying to make you happy. Shouldn't you be doing the same for me? Just be by my side? Don't be distant. Please. It's tearing me apart. I need you. I need my Diana back. I know for a fact she didn't die two months ago, so stop acting like my Diana is gone. I have my issues I know. But you got yourself into this mess. We are each other's messes. So give me yours. Give me your fears, your hopes, your desires, your ... love. Give me your love, Diana. Just love me, that's all I ask of you."

I unbuckled my seatbelt hesitantly and looked at my stomach. I placed a hand on it and thought about what parenting was going to be like with the crazy in love man beside me. I looked to my husband and crawled across the middle console onto his lap. Aeron placed his hands on my thick hips and I pressed myself against him. I slowly leaned down and we kissed.

"Okay," I whispered into his mouth.

The End

Thank you for reading my book. I hope you enjoyed it. I know it wasn't exactly realistic but I hope you enjoyed the characters and the plot. Please comment and tell me how you liked it. What could I have changed? What could I have done better? I love the criticism and am always looking for improvement in my writing.