― 26. another threat

Start from the beginning

"Oops," Pippa laughs joyously as she looks down at herself, "thank you, I appreciate it."

"Of course."

"Um, I can sleep on the couch tonight. I don't mind."

"Oh no-"

"No seriously. These couches are nice anyways." Pippa sends a knowing wink Kaitlyn's way.

Kaitlyn is truly surprised but how lonely and endearing Pippa is. She didn't expect this of Santino's wife for whatever reason and it's a nice surprise. She gives the girl a small nod before exiting the main room and into the bedroom.

The sound of the shower makes Kaitlyn pause as she reaches the bed where her backpack is. She can't help but smile sadly as she stares at the cracked open door; she hopes he's doing okay. Quickly she's forced out of her daze as she hears a British voice coming from the other room, clearly Pippa is on the phone. Kaitlyn snatches up the outfit she'd worn today since she only brought one other for tomorrow. Silently she hopes it'll do.

Kaitlyn pauses as her and Pippa make eye contact from across the room. She can see the slight panic in the other girl's eyes and it makes her body heat up with anxiety. Something is wrong. So they stand there staring while someone talks on the other end of the phone and Pippa just hums responses.

   "Is John out of the shower, Kaitlyn?" Pippa gulps hard as she ends the phone call.

   Kaitlyn steps back into the room and hears the water isn't running and John steps out in his boxers. Seeing the new bruises that cover his skin makes her feel weak. John instantly pulls his white shirt over so she can't see anymore.

   "Honey-"

   "I think something is happening. Someone called Pippa, she looked scared."

   John just nods and follows her out into the main room not caring about the state he's in. Pippa is still in her dress but sitting on the couch staring at the floor, Kaitlyn still grips the clothes she's been meaning to give her.

   "Pippa what's happening?" John says sternly.

   "My friend Jack, Tomas's son, called me." Kaitlyn flinches knowing that said friend just lost his father.

   "And?"

   "Leo is planning on hunting you down John. Everyone else wants no part of it because of Santino but he doesn't care." she sighs.

   John doesn't even react. He's definitely not surprised. His normally tense body language almost seems relaxed at the news. Kaitlyn knows just by seeing his reaction he's ready for the next challenge. As if things couldn't get any worse, another assassin is in the mix.

   Pippa continues, "Leo thinks you're already in New York. No one knew you brought your wife, he doesn't even know I'm gone. Which means Santino doesn't know yet."

   "Some guards you have." John says harshly, but in an amused way.

   "John, what's going to happen?" Kaitlyn asks.

   The wheels are turning in John's head as he doesn't respond. He has Kaitlyn and now Pippa to keep safe from a man he knows nothing about. But it won't be a problem. John had felt it deep down that this had been too easy, his regret about bringing Kaitlyn is getting worse.