Chapter 24 To Letting Go

Start from the beginning

Something Krushem said had also stood out to Japeth. Krushem had been adamant that Japeth and Aric would be equals. While that was true, Japeth wondered how Krushem had even come to that conclusion. Perhaps Krushem knew how much Aric meant to Japeth considering Krushem had seen the great interest Japeth had taken in getting his hands on Aric's whip and dagger. That was the only explanation as to why Krushem had come to such a conclusion.

"About those rumors of you seeking to control the Storian..." Krushem began, his tone contemplative. He seemed to hesitate at first before going on. "What's you're endgame with that? I mean, when you finally get to that point and the powers are your's, what then?"

Japeth opened his mouth to respond, but at first, no words escaped from between his parted lips. For the first time since Japeth and Sophie's failed wedding when Japeth first began seeing Rhian's ghost, he realized that he'd almost forgotten what he was meant to do. He'd forgotten his greatest motivation and the one thing that had been his goal from the very moment he'd learned of Aric's death; Bringing Aric back to life.

Yes, it could be argued that Japeth hadn't lost track of that goal. After all, hadn't he hunted Tedros and Agatha down in the Stymph Forest and fought against them in an attempt to get Tedros's ring. If he'd done that, couldn't it be very well concluded that Japeth hadn't lost track of his goal of bringing Aric back?

No.

It was inconclusive simply because for the past few weeks, Japeth had had to recover from the stab wound Tedros had given him. Not only that, but Japeth had been too out of his mind dealing with his brother's death to think about continuing on his path to ensure Aric's return.

Love...That was what fueled Japeth to want to bring Aric back. Yet, it was also love that had broken him. It was his love for Rhian that had crushed Japeth's soul without remorse. Without Aric, Japeth was friendless and broken. Broken in a way that was different than the way Japeth was broken now.

And without Rhian? Without Rhian, Japeth was left without a brother. Without Rhian, Japeth was truly alone. It was an aloneness he'd feared long before Rhian's death had ever occurred.

Japeth had been faced with the fear of that aloneness only two times in his life before. The first time was when he'd chosen Rhian over Aric when Aric had been banished from Arbed House. The second time was when Rhian had thrown him in the Camelot dungeons, leaving Japeth feeling betrayed. Both of those times, Japeth had felt fearful that he would lose Rhian, even while he feared losing Aric at the same time.

"To be honest with you, Krushem," Japeth said at last, swallowing hard, "I'd forgotten what I was supposed to do. I'd forgotten my path..." He turned to Krushem and saw Krushem in a new light. No longer was Krushem the mysterious thief who'd gone out of his way to earn Japeth's trust. Now, in this new light, Krushem was a loyal follower, a mere stranger, who'd reminded Japeth of his devotion to Aric.

Because Krushem was right. Japeth and Aric were equals. Even death and time couldn't change that. Even the looming reminder of Rhian's death couldn't keep Japeth from continuing on his path to become the One True King.

"My goal is to bring my true love back from the dead," Japeth reaffirmed, his voice coming out steady and strong.

Krushem stared at Japeth. "Aric?" He asked, but the answer was already clear. Japeth didn't need to confirm Krushem's question. It was obvious by the knowing expression upon Krushem's face that Krushem already knew who Japeth's true love was.