In Search of Valor

Keep on beginning and failing. Each time you fail, start all over again, and you will grow stronger until you have accomplished a purpose - not the one you began with perhaps, but one you'll be glad to remember. 

~Anne Sullivan~

A war broke out between two wolf packs, Lycan pack and Bane pack. Valor, a timber wolf pup, was wandering around trying to find a safe place.

While he was walking cautiously, he saw his parents fighting the enemies. There was blood everywhere. He saw his parents die right in front of him. He was so frightened that he fled towards the forest. Valor was crying while he was running. Feeling tired, he decided to rest behind a tree while he looked back and watched his pack fight. 

Suddenly, an enemy from the Lycan pack found Valor. He dragged him by the tail.

"Let me go!" Valor resisted. 

The enemy scratched his eyes causing him to become blind. He was beaten badly by the enemy, but worst of all, he was thrown into the flame. He was badly scarred and burnt that day but he was lucky he was still alive and breathing. Thanks to the sudden rainstorm, he was saved from being burned alive.

After a few weeks, the war ended. Bane pack's life soon returned to normal. Schools opened and they are now safe but not for Valor. He lost his friends since he is now ugly. Everyone thought of him as a monster and no one wanted to be friends with him. He was mocked for his looks and his awkward movements due to his blindness. 

One day, while he was sitting behind a tree letting out his feelings by himself, a white tundra wolf with blue eyes was passing by. 

The white tundra wolf looked at Valor intently. "Hey, kid." He called out.

 Valor stopped crying for a while.

"Why are you crying?" He asked the young pup.

Valor wiped away his tears and looked down at the floor. "N-nothing. I-it's just that... everyone thinks I'm a monster and that I'm not good enough to be around them." He stuttered.

"Well, why don't you try and prove all of them wrong?" The adult Tundra wolf suggested.

"But how? I-I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to learn anything since I can't see." Valor said, discouraged.

"Well. It doesn't mean you can't use your other senses to learn." He said.

The young pup felt hope. He formed a small, but noticeable smile.

"I'm Kouga, And I'll be training you how to fight. Now, follow me using your sense of smell." Kouga said trailing to a mountain.

Several hours later...

"Are we there yet?" Valor asked.

"Patience," Kouga replied.

"But we've been walking for hours." Valor whined.

"We're almost there, just wait."

After a few hours of walking, they finally reached the place. It was on top of a mountain surrounded by lush green grass.

"We're here." Said Kouga.

"Let's start by introducing ourselves," Kouga added.

Valor nodded as he sat down.

"I will introduce myself. I'm Kouga Arata. I'm a white tundra wolf and I desire to help you learn how to survive in the wild. Now it's your turn." Kouga said simply.

"I'm Valor Katsuo. From what I remember, I'm a grey timber wolf. I don't have a dream, except that I could finally see... which is impossible." Valor said.

"Alright. We will start our training in a few minutes. Take some time to rest." Kouga ordered.

From that day on, they started to train.

When Valor's training first started, it was very frustrating.

"Ahhhhhhh! Why can't I get the strike perfectly?!" Valor exclaimed frustrated.

Kouga lifted his head from his lying down position.

"It's alright. It doesn't matter if you don't learn it right away. As long as you keep trying, you will succeed." Kouga said encouragingly.

Valor groaned lazily but continued to practice.

Two years later, Valor became faster and stronger. He can run 50-70 kilometers per hour. Though, he can't see he could smell and hear the footsteps of the prey he's about to hunt.

A month later, Kouga told Valor that another war broke between Bane pack and another pack.

"What?! War?" Valor exclaimed.

"Yes, Valor. A war between Bane pack and Silver pack," Kouga reported.

Valor had sudden flashbacks of his experience being in a war.

"Let me go!"

"You have to go in and save Bane pack," Kouga suggested. "It's time to put that training of yours to work." He added.

Valor nodded and together, they sprinted right away back to his old pack. He followed his teacher's scent into the path where he went. While Valor was following the scent of his sensei, he smelled another scent. It smelled familiar. It smelled like...

Valor remembered the smell. It was the one who grabbed him by the tail when he was young.

Following Eclipse's scent, Valor charged at him.

"Beat it, kid, you're helpless. You can't even see-" Eclipse was cut off mid-sentence as Valor clawed his face. 

Valor attempted to bite him but Eclipse dodged it.

Eclipse clawed Valor. Valor howled in pain and grudgingly bit Eclipse's hind leg.

The fight went on for a long time until Valor eventually defeated Eclipse. 

Valor sniffed his way back to the place where he came from and helped his pack defeat the enemies.

When the war was over, he talked to his teacher for the last time.

"Master Kouga... I just wanted to thank you for the training that you gave me. Because of your help, I was able to defend my pack and defeat the enemy but I guess I want to be a lone wolf." Valor said.

Kouga looked at him proudly. 

"I respect your decision, Valor. Just remember that I'm very proud of you for training hard and for having the courage to fight to protect your pack. I wish you good luck." Kouga said proudly.

Valor shed some tears as he turned to start his new adventure.

------------------------------

Inspired by the real-life story of Hellen Keller and her teacher, Anne Sullivan.

Photo not mine.