Chapter 1 | Kayla | Why I Chose the Playground

Start from the beginning

"Kayla-" she starts to protest.

I snatch the wooden spoon from her hand and give her a gentle push towards the stairs. "The woman who was responsible for taking care of me while I was gone gave me a few pointers. I think I'll be okay," I assure her. Before she can start arguing, I grab her arm and drag her to the stairs. I mimic my mom by crossing my arms and staring at her with a stern look. "Go to bed or you're not going to get dessert!"

Keith grunts, "Wow," as he resumes the game.

"Jerk," I reply by skillfully hiding the insult with a forced cough. He rolls his eyes. "Don't roll your eyes at me, young man. Don't you have any respect for your older sister?"

He pauses the game, then rises from the couch. Before he leaves the room, he says, "I've lost it ever since I was born."

I stand in utter shock. I notice that he's becoming like Ali, Harun's younger brother. I sigh and close my eyes, still playing the mom act. "Mom, go to bed. Now." I open my eyes to find her crossing her arms as well. "Please?" I add in a tiny voice. She gives me a small smile before finally going up the stairs.

"Don't burn the house down," she calls back at the top of the stairs.

"I can't guarantee that," I respond. I drop my arms to my sides before raising my hand which is holding the wooden spoon. It's going to be a long afternoon.

***

Thirty minutes before dinner, I sit alone on my bed in my comfortable, cozy room. I look at the golden locket in my hand. My thumb brushes over its bumpy surface. Little intricate lines form several hearts ring an equally complex flower in the center. I sigh as I study the patterns on it, and start to reminisce a rarely vague memory.

"With the little time we had, I felt like I had another sister. Faiza is quite okay, but how am I supposed to talk about how romantic Luqman is to her?" I smile at Hafsa, my eyes watery. She holds my hand and puts her other hand in her coat pocket, as if having the intention to retrieve something from it. "I know I'm not really leaving but I figured that you should have this," she says, dropping a gold locket into my hand. I start to tremble with sobs as I examine the complex, yet simply amazing patterns. As I look at it more, I notice that it looks quite familiar. "Why are you crying? You don't like it? Oh my Allah I'm an-"

"It's beautiful. This just reminds me too much of Zahra. We said our goodbyes in this very airport. At this very spot." I wipe away my saltwater tears and hold up the locket. My smile widens.

"You can put whatever picture you want inside. I was at the store yesterday and I remember you looking at it when we were shopping. I thought that you'd like it." So that's where I saw the locket. Hafsa lets go of my hand, and then squeezes me in a comforting hug. "Bye, sister. Don't miss me too much."

"I can't promise that," I reply, holding on to her tightly.

I uncurl my fingers to let the chain slip between them and bring down its locket with it down on my bed. I stare at my bed for a while before deciding to open the locket. In it, there's a picture of a handsome guy. Green eyes, dark tan skin, and dark brown hair greet me. I never knew that I had my hands on this picture. But, I have an inkling as to where I got it from.

I take out a crisp piece of paper, which seems to be a letter. My eyes find the words Dear Kayla, and that's when my breath stops short. I wonder what's in this letter.

We haven't known each other for very long but - I'm sorry, let me start again. That sounds a little overused.

I want to let you know that I've met an amazing girl not so long ago. She's funny, beautiful, stubborn, and just plain cute. Whenever I see her, my heart skips a beat. It's amazing how she has that effect on me. And Kayla, I know you know this girl. She's