Chapter 4 | Kayla | Wedding Woes

*screams in glee* Wattpad added this book to their reading list "Epic Epistles." ^_^ Thanks for getting TUT to Spiritual #22! Anyways, enjoy. :)
P.S. @laughingwiththemoon_, aka @getyafaceoutmaface created that amazing banner for me! Isn't it prettyyy?!

***

"I'll go," I say with a tone of finality. "I have to go so that I can get over him. I mean, how pathetic is it for me to cry over a guy?"

"That's the spirit," Zahra jokes on the other line. Her voice automatically slips into seriousness again. "I'll be right by your side, Kayla, and literally at that. I of course have to attend it since the damn guy is my cousin. But enough about him. How are things going for you?"

I glance back to the door of the restaurant."They're going great. I'm actually at the rehearsal dinner; the wedding is taking place tomorrow. It was supposed to happen in July, but it had to be pushed back a month because of everyone's conflicting schedules. But I'm glad to be with family. "

"And food," Zahra comments.

"Yup, can't forget about that."

"I haven't heard about Nick," Zahra says hesitantly. "How is he?"

I stiffen my back, remembering the reason as to why I was mad at Zahra in the first place - for telling Nick that I'm Muslim. Even though it's a suspicion, it seems to be a very plausible reason as to why Nick found out. "I honestly don't know. He walked out of my life; literally. I haven't seen him at school. I tried calling him but he never picks up. I guess he was for real when he said I won't see or hear of him again."

A few moments of silence pass until she sighs. "But he can't just do that, right? I feel like something's wrong with him for him to just...disappear like that."

I quirk my eyebrow at what seems to be worry and concern in her tone. "Why are you so concerned of his whereabouts? I thought you loathed him."

"Yeah, but for the wrong reasons."

Her reply is too vague of an answer, but I don't press her on any further, since it doesn't seem like she'll reveal anything that I assume she's hiding. "I need to, um, get going," I tell her quite awkwardly. "Salaam."

"Salaam." And the line clicks immediately after that.

***

"Wait...can you still go inside of a church?" Kara asks for the umpteenth time. It seems like everyday she has a new question to ask me concerning my now everyday life style which has been shaped by Islam.

"Yes, Kara. I won't burn to ashes, or scream in agony, or crumple to my knees - I'll be perfectly fine." I mutter an 'Insha'Allah' after that statement, because who knows - those very things may happen if Allah wills. "Besides, we're not going to a church for the wedding. And please leave me alone; I need to finish putting on makeup," I tell her reluctantly. If today was not my dad's wedding, I would have taken all my makeup off at once. But, of course, I have to look my best, considering I'm the groom's daughter.

"You already retouched it three times. And Mom told you it looks nice before you decided to add more blush. Don't make yourself look like a clown." She purses her lips as she examines herself in the mirror of the bathroom. She then glances down at the various makeup items I had spread out on the counter. I had to get most of them from Mom since I barely own makeup myself.

"I'm just really nervous. I have to give out a speech and everything." I actually haven't practiced the speech till late last night when we returned home from the dinner. I typed it up a month prior from today, but time somehow managed to slip through my fingers, leaving me antsy and anxious. "And I don't think I'm that prepared."