Chapter 16 | Stephanie | Almost a Murderer

I'm working on a new story and am studying for an upcoming exam, hence why this update is sooo late. Also, this chapter was a little difficult to write because I don't know how life is like in prison, but I hope you enjoy!

***

I raise my eyebrows as I look through the other side of the screen. "I did not expect to see you here."

Nicholas Grey looks at me for a long time but does not say a word.

I glance at the other visitation booths to my right, and then to my left. Nearly a third of them are occupied by orange-jumpsuit clad women sitting on the uncomfortable metal stools. Their family and friends are on the other side, Nick's side, expressing more emotion than my parents and older sister have.

They visited me once. They said they won't let me ruin our family name.

Of course. It's not the best idea for a rich, elite family to have a daughter behind bars for being a crackhead.

I look back at Nick and hold his steady gaze. "If only my boyfriend was sitting here instead. My colleagues gush over their partners and don't believe me when I say mine is such a hunk."

Nick says, "So you know he...is out." He glances at a security guard standing two feet away from him.

I haven't heard that voice in a while. I can't say I miss it, though.

"You get to know a lot about the outside world once you are friends with a guard," I say.

"Why did you do it?"

I play dumb. "What?"

"You snitched on us."

"More like I saved Kayla's ass with the nine-one-one call. You were pretty useless after you knocked Blake out." I smile before I say, "You were pretty scared for her, huh?"

"Answer my question."

"Woah, buddy, aren't I supposed to get a 'thank you' for saving the day?" He does not seem amused. "I made the call for Blake, not her. You stabbed him, remember?" I drop my smile. "I remember the moment you drove that knife into him without hesitation. Every. Single. Day. And the incompetent law force let you go."

"I claimed it was for self defense." A corner of his mouth raises in a smirk.

"Self defense, my ass."

He mocks me with a grin. "If only Boss had not ratted you out. Or should I say Jay."

"So he has a name after all. Huh."

"He has freedom, too."

Once the words register in my head, I slightly widen my eyes in shock, but only for a split second. I should not be surprised that Boss - Jay - is capable of evading a medium security prison Although how he did it, who knows. "Did you help him?"

Nick shakes his head. "I helped Blake." He drops his voice as he practically whispers into the phone, "And I will help you, too. Just wait two more days."

I glance at the guards positioned around the room. "How will you get past through them?"

"Don't worry about it."

"Does Blake still have nightmares? About Brian?"

Nick finally averts his eyes from mine. "Of course."

My heart sinks a bit. He is still suffering from his brother's loss. "Has he seen his family yet?"

Nick shakes his head. "He's ashamed after they visited him in prison."