Chapter 9 | Kayla | How I Almost Died

This update is a few days late since the laptop I was using to type was not being very convenient. -____-

We hit 10K reads and 500 votes! :) Thank you so so so much!

Enjoy!

***

"She really said that?" I nod. "Wow, I...I'm speechless," Zahra mumbles.

"So was I...until I declined and told her why I did. I can't see Harun as the same person again, and now his wife is telling me he still has feelings for me."

"I don't think it's bull. Harun did seem worried about you when he kept glancing at you, and-"

"Anyone can feel worried. Your brother did when he kept glancing at me during the...nee-kah? Whatever the word is." I stab my piece of cake with a fork repeatedly, not even wanting to consume it. I've suddenly lost my appetite, and it's strange why since it's not like replaying the events from earlier today makes me sick. For the first time in my life, I refused to indulge in cake. There must be something wrong with me.

Zahra rolls her eyes. "The way that Harun looked at you is way more different than how Zayd did." She purses her lips before continuing to ask me, "Did you see Harun's mom yet? Ruwayda?"

I shake my head no. "I was looking forward to seeing her. She took care of me and was like a second mom to me, you know?" I drop my fork down on my paper plate, suddenly losing interest in stabbing my food. "Why? Is something wrong with her?"

Zahra shakes her head vigorously. "No, it's just...She seemed so happy for Harun and Maymunah, and I was wondering how things would have been if Maymunah would have really called off the wedding."

I raise the corners of my mouth. "Don't worry, that's one of the reasons why I declined." I glance at Nadia sitting at a table a few yards away from us, and she seems to be in a very animated conversation with Iman, Maymunah's cousin who I met earlier today. "The families would have been upset too. I can't let that happen just because Maymunah suspects that Harun still has lingering feelings for me." I feel relieved whenever I talk to my best friend about such complicated matters. I don't like to open up to a lot of people, but with Zahra, it's a different story. People say that your best friends judge you; I disagree. Zahra is certainly not one to judge, since she understands why I choose to do one thing instead of the other. She doesn't shower me with pity; instead, she expresses empathy. It's really nice to be around someone with that kind of nature.

"You did the right thing. Not many people would have done what you did," she replies to me genuinely. She glances at the time on her phone and sighs as she looks around, particularly nowhere. "I wish we'd get home already. We've been here for nearly four hours." 

"Speaking of which, I think I have to go now. My mom wants me home by dinner, and if I don't leave now, she'll start thinking that I got abducted again." I rise from my seat before grabbing my purse off the table. "I'll see you later, Insha'Allah." Zahra nods before giving me a brief hug and bidding me goodbye.

As I walk away from the seating area of the venue, I hear someone call my name repeatedly. I recognize the voice immediately and turn around to see Maymunah walking towards me. "Kayla!"

"Yeah? What is it?" I ask once she's standing a few feet in front of me.

"I was wondering if we could have lunch together sometime. I've heard a lot about you...from Harun," she says, saying 'Harun' gingerly, as if his name is just something so unbearable for me to hear, "and you seem to be a very nice person. I just want to get to know you better, that's all."

"Of course. I'd love that."

"Great! Are you leaving already?" she asks.

I nod my head. "Yup. I need to get home soon." I put on a genuine smile on my face and say, "I never had the chance to say congrats. You already seem to be so blessed by this marriage."