Chapter 8 | Kayla | Mixed Feelings

Where are my readers? Just got bored of my writing? T_T

Anyways, as promised, I wrote a couple of chapters as a little Eid present. Hard to write but it was worth it. I hope you like them since I've put a lot of effort and time into writing them.

P.S. I'm looking forward to your comments! I apologize for not replying to them lately.

And lastly, Eid Mubarak (and early/belated Eid Mubarak)!

Enjoy. :)

***

I grip the clutch tightly as I feel a slight vibration in my hand. It must be Zahra calling, since I sort of ran late due to the traffic on the way here. I hear many conversations going on in the buzzing air of the afternoon. I sigh as I start to open my clutch before I hear very faint footsteps on the freshly cut grass. I freeze once I hear a deep voice address me.

"Excuse me, are you-" The man stops talking abruptly. I look up, already recognizing who he is just by his voice. I remember him just as if I saw him yesterday - sharp green eyes which compliment his dark tan, and jet black curls which are shining under the sun's rays. He's clad in a navy blue suit and white tie, making him appear much more older, even though he's only nineteen. As cheesy as it sounds, my heart thumps in my chest once my eyes lock with his. I almost worry that he can hear it in his ears just as I can.

Harun dons a shocked expression on his face but quickly recovers. Usually, if you see someone whom you've been trying to avoid for a long time, you'd look away from their gaze so that you won't relive the so-called memories you had with them. But now, I can't help but leave my clutch open and stay rooted in my spot as I stare at Harun while he stares back, the bittersweet moments we had starting to rush back to my mind. Moments that I locked away in my mind but obviously seemed to fail to repress.

I grip on my purse harder, it's edges digging in to my skin as I assess Harun's eyes. Does he feel guilt? Does he still think of me as his little sister? I can't tell, since his face remains devoid of emotion. He doesn't speak at all, so I decide to take this as a chance to break the awkward air between us. "Assalamu Alaykum. Congratulations on the wedding," I say quietly. I expect him to say something back; he opens his mouth as if to reply, but shuts it again and only leaves me feeling more embarrassed and awkward. I give him one last glance before turning around and distancing myself from him.

I fight the urge to cry out in frustration and humiliation, and resist the urge to throw my purse down at the grass. All I want to do now is hide in a corner and ball my eyes out, but right now is not the time to cry over a boy. I assure myself that I'll get through the wedding before having a mental breakdown, even though I have a feeling that things won't go a hundred percent smoothly and perfectly.

"Kayla!" I hear Zahra shout my name. I instantaneously spot her a few feet ahead of me. I force a smile on my face as we walk towards each other before she throws her arms around me. "God, woman, where were you?"

"Traffic. It seems that a lot of people are attending this wedding," I attempt to tell her in an upbeat tone. She doesn't show any indication that she knows that I'm feigning my positivity. She grabs my elbow and leads me to the seating area of the venue. "Where's Maymunah?" I inquire as I prepare myself to walk through the mass of people. I hold my purse close to my chest as Zahra leaves my simple question hanging in the air before we stop just a few feet ahead of a raised platform, and I assume that it must be for the couple.

"There," she says, jutting her chin out towards a girl in a wedding dress, seated on a loveseat. I glance at her in surprise. It seems that I was right; she's the same girl that I bumped into in the mall. I silently look at her engage in conversation with several girls who are standing around her. My self-esteem immediately plummets down as I stare at her subtle yet graceful features. It's a lie to claim that she isn't gorgeous.