THIRTY-FOUR (EDITED)

Start from the beginning

Grace got up and walked over to the table, pouring herself a glass. She looked back at Tabitha as she did so.

"Would you like some whiskey as well?" She asked.

"No, just water, thank you."

"Tabitha Shelby not wanting a glass of whiskey?" Grace asked with a smile, acting surprised. "That's a drastic change."

"I'm not drinking it for awhile, but I still like my whiskey," Tabitha smiled back.

"I see other things have changed too, for you and your husband. I saw vans with his name on at the docks."

"Yes, things have changed the last three years."

Grace handed handed Tabitha the glass of water and then sat back down on the couch. Silence took over the room as they looked at each other.

"I'm sure Tommy isn't glad about me being here with you," Grace said.

"He isn't, no, but he listens to me and trusts me to talk to you alone," Tabitha replied.

"It's good to see you, Tabby." Grace faintly smiled, meeting Tabitha's eyes.

"It's good to see you too, Grace. I hope you've been well in New York."

"I am happy in New York. And I am married, just like you. And he's sweet and kind to me." Grace then paused and her faint smile faded. "But there's not a day that passes when I don't think about you."

The smiled faded from Tabitha's, knowing for certain that Grace still had feelings three years later. The gypsy knew there was always gonna be a place in her heart for the Irish woman, but it wasn't strong enough to beat the place she had for Thomas. And Thomas took up most of it except for the empty hole Theo left.

"So you're still in love with me?" Tabitha asked.

Grace didn't say a word, giving the gypsy confirmation.

"Are you so certain I am?" Grace asked, finally talking again.

Tabitha got up from the chair she was in and moved to the couch, sitting down beside the Irish woman. She downed the glass of water and sat it on the table.

"You're not, armed, Grace, are you?" Tabitha asked.

"No, I am not armed, Tabitha," Grace answered defensively. "I don't carry guns. I don't have to."

"This is why Tommy hates reunions," Tabitha started. "He says it's pointless to sit around for hours talking about nothing and dancing around what we really want to say. He understands I don't agree and respects that, but you've already told me your husband is rich and sweet and kind to you. I know you're unarmed and you're still in love with me. And it's only three minutes past," she continued.

"And what about you?" Grace asked. "What do you have to say?"

"Things are great between me and Tommy. We're happily married and more in love than ever. He's sweet and kind and loving to me, just like your husband is to you," Tabitha replied.

"But did you ever love me, Tabby?" Grace asked, softness showing in her eyes.

"You will always hold a dear place in my heart, Grace, and I know a part of me will always love you. You were my best friend, you still are...but I love Tommy more than I've ever loved anyone."

"If you had come with me to New York, things would've been different."

"They would've, but I chose Tommy. I will always choose Tommy...and our child," Tabitha said softly.

Grace's eyes widened in shock at the word, child. Tabitha and Thomas were trying to have a child and she knew that it was too late for them to be together.