Chapter Twenty-One

It's been two weeks since Peeta attacked Katniss. Everyone is training for war, everyone except Finnick and I. I already know it all and he only took three days to pass all his tests. We're both already assigned to the Star Squad, which annoys me. We should be in an actual battle squad, but whatever. We can ditch once we get to the Capitol.

They wanted to cut Finnick's hair, give him the standard military haircut. But I threatened to stab them, so they backed away. Finnick finally got me to admit that I love his hair, which is why I didn't want it cut. I love running my fingers through it, lightly tugging the bronze strands as we kiss.

"When this all is over," Finnick murmurs as we lay on our bed, "what should we do?"

"I don't know," I tell him truthfully. I don't want to leave Five, but I also could never live without Finnick.

"Here's what I think," Finnick says. He kisses my neck, gently playing with my hair. "I think we should live wherever you would be happy. Doesn't matter where, as long as you're happy and I'm with you."

"You would do that for me?" I ask, playing with his fingers. He stops kissing my neck and moves so he's on top of me. He holds himself up just enough that he doesn't crush me.

"I would do anything for you," he says seriously, staring into my eyes. I reach up and lace my fingers through his hair. "You're the love of my life."

"And you're mine."

•••••

"Remember: poisoned knives on the left, regular knives on the right," Beetee tells me, helping me strap my vest on. "Also, explosive darts on the bottom, poison darts on the top."

I wear my armor, as well as my vest. My hair is braided back, loosely. A hunting knife is strapped to my thigh, just in case. A nightlock pill is over my heart, and my victor's crown is on my head. Finnick's necklace still hasn't been removed from around my neck.

"Nervous?" Finnick asks me, coming up from behind me.

"A little," I admit.

"Don't be," Johanna says, coming over to us. "You better kill him, Del. I don't trust Everdeen to, but I know you will."

"I'll die doing it if I have to."

"That's my girl," Finnick smiles, pecking my lips. He grabs my hand. "C'mon, beautiful. We need to get on the hovercraft."

I smirk, nodding. I can't wait. These days, the only thing forcing me forward is the prospect of a future with Finnick and the upcoming murder of the man who took everything from me.

"Make him suffer," Johanna tells me.

"Gladly," I nod.

She hands me a black, lightweight throwing axe with a nylon sheath. "In case you need it."

I strap it to my right thigh and hug her tightly. Finnick does the same, smiling at her.

"See you soon, Jo," he says, and she laughs.

"Don't get mushy, Fish Boy," she says, lightly pushing him off. "Now go back to your fiancée."

"Fiancée?" I question, raising my eyebrows.

"Oops," she smirks, then walks away laughing.

"What was that about?" I ask Finnick as we walk to the hovercraft.

"Nothing," he says quickly, holding my hand in his. We board the hovercraft and find our seats. Finnick sits on my left, Gale on my right.

"I didn't know you use axes," Gale muses, glancing at my new weapon.

"I had one in my first Games," I tell him, "but I only used it for a little bit. I lost it in a fight with the mutts that killed my district partner."

"Are you any good with it?" He gives me a small smile, his gray eyes focused on me.

"I like to think so."

"Stop looking at her like that," Finnick grumbles, glaring at Gale. He wraps his arm around my shoulders, protectively kissing the top of my head. "She's mine."

"What makes you think she belongs to you?" Gale scoffs.

"Because she's my girlfriend, and she loves me," Finnick says through clenched teeth. If I wasn't in-between the two of them, Finnick would probably be snapping Gale's neck.

"Whatever," Gale says, crossing his arms and turning away.

I lay my head on Finnick's shoulder, closing my eyes. He wraps his arms around me, pushing up the armrest between us. I move slightly so my head is resting over his heart.

"What are you thinking about?" he asks me several minutes later, after he's cooled down a little. He gently runs his hands along my arms.

"Nothing in particular," I say, breathing in his scent. Somehow, despite the months in Thirteen, he still smells like the ocean. I probably smell like blood and singed wire. "What about you?"

"Home," he replies, playing with the pendent around my neck. "My family. You would've liked them."

"I'm sure I would've," I smile up at him. "Tell me about them?"

"My father was a fisherman," he starts, a faraway look in his eyes. "He taught me everything I know. He was a great man, very honorable. A man of his word. Valued his family above all else.

"My mother made the best bread in the district. Always used just the right amount of sea salt. She was always worried about me. Was scared to death when I went into the arena. Dad seemed to know I would come home alive, though."

He pauses, smiling.

"My sisters were only a year apart. River was my twin, only a few minutes older than me. Never let me forget it, either. We were so painfully similar, but it was amazing. She was amazing.

"The necklace I gave you? River made that for me, gave it to me when I was picked. It was my most prized possession for a long time. The most important thing I had. Thalassa she was older than us by a year. Very protective, slightly bossy.

"But she meant well. She always meant well. She would've volunteered for me if she could've." He stops again, staying silent for several seconds.

"Kai...Kai was my little brother. He was just like me...He looked up to me, y'know? Depended on me to protect him. And when...when he..." He pauses, tensing up. "He was only seven when..."

I sit up instantly, only to see his eyes shining with tears. I wrap my arms around him, pulling him closer. He buries his head in my shoulder, not crying but taking unsteady breaths. I gently run my fingers through his hair.

"It's okay," I whisper as soothingly as I can.

"What's wrong with him?" Gale questions, hiding a laugh. I turn and flash him a death glare before punching him faster than he can see it coming. He cries out as a sick crack comes from his jaw.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic," I hiss. "It's not broken. Only dislocated." I roll my eyes. "Talk to my boyfriend like that again and I'll do worse."