Chapter Three

THIRD PERSON P.O.V.

Surrounded by his fellow victors on the rooftop garden, Finnick sits uncomfortably. Plutarch Havensbee heads up the group. There are the pairs of victors from Three, Four, Six, Seven, Eight, Eleven, and Twelve. Only Ryder represents Five. Haymitch and Atom sit next to Plutarch.

"Now, as most of you know, there have been plans for a rebellion brewing for a long time," Plutarch says. "Originally, the plan was to retrieve Ms. Everdean from this year's arena."

"Why me?" Katniss asks, frowning.

"Originally, brainless," Johanna says, rolling her eyes.

"However, our spies say the rebellion would be far more effective if Asphodel Lethe was the symbol," he says.

Asphodel? Yes, she's beautiful and brave and cunning, but she can't speak. How can she head a rebellion if she can't speak? Finnick asks himself.

"She can't speak," Cecelia, from Eight, points out.

"No," Plutarch agrees. "But actions speak louder than words. Her throat was sliced open during the finale of her Games, but she never stopped fighting. Do you know what the last thing she ever said was?"

It's silent for a long time. Everyone remembers what it was.

"Don't stop fighting," Atom says quietly. "That's what I told her just before she went into the arena."

"That's why people love her. Because she was on the brink of death, but she never stopped fighting," Plutarch explains. "We need volunteers to protect her. Make sure she comes out alive."

"I will," Ryder says instantly.

"Same here," Finnick agrees. He asks himself, Am I really willing to sacrifice myself for a sixteen year old girl? Yes. I most definitely am.

Every tribute agrees, even though it took Katniss a bit of convincing on Peeta's part.

"We have chosen a few victors that the rebels will make sure are extracted immediately," Plutarch says. "Finnick, Beetee, and Peeta? You three, as long as you survive, will be secured. For everyone else? I make no promises.

"We will try to retrieve and Katniss and Johanna next, but keep in mind that Asphodel is our top priority. Katniss, we need you to blow up the arena, as well as cut Asphodel's tracker out. Finnick, don't leave Asphodel's side."

Nobody knows what to think. Katniss is very offended, Johanna's excited for the rebellion, and Finnick's wondering how he and Asphodel will end up getting along. He has to protect her, no matter the cost.

Little does anyone know, he had already been planning to give his life for hers. He's been planning on her coming out alive, not him. He would protect her with his life, even without instructions to do so.

Why?

Because he will do anything for her.

If it sounds weird, it's because it is. But the world works in mysterious ways, and humanity can't begin to question fate or its actions. The thread of life is woven carefully, intricately, and purposefully. Fate doesn't make mistakes.