Chapter Fourteen

A/N: The song above is an amazing song for most of this story. It's Nightmare by Arshad.

•••••

"You said my name," Finnick gasps, his eyes locking on mine. In that second, an unspoken message passes between us. I run into his arms, burying my face in his chest.

"I love you," I whisper, even though it feels like my throat's on fire. It hurts so bad to talk. It takes several seconds and a few tries just to say those three short words.

Finnick tightens his arms around me.

"I love you, too," his breathes out, his voice shaky.

"Hate to break this up, but we have to discuss what we're going to do about Katniss," Haymitch says. So while we break the hug, Finnick refuses to let go of my hand. To me, "There's a rebellion going on. You're the face of the rebellion and Katniss is the mockingjay." My jaw drops slightly.

"Atom told us how cozy you two were getting, so we figured you would listen to Finnick," Plutarch continues. "The two of you, as well as Katniss and Peeta were our first priorities. But when the arena was destroyed, we were only able to get you three, as well as Beetee because of how close together you were. The Capitol has Peeta, Johanna, and Cashmere."

"Where's Atom?" I croak after several seconds of working it out of my throat.

"We tried, Asphodel," Plutarch says gravely. "We really did."

It's like I'm punched in the stomach. Atom is dead. The man that has raised me for the past two years is dead. The only person I had left to call family is dead. My mentor is dead.

For the first time since before I won my Games, I cry. A single tear falls, trailing down my cheek.

Oliver? Wilson? I sign, my throat hurting too bad to talk. Finnick translates for me

"Oliver was killed by the Capitol," Haymitch says. "Wilson died in his sleep on the second day of the Games."

I'm alone. I'm Five's last victor.

My district?

"In tact," Plutarch replies. Quieter, he adds, "Barely."

I close my eyes, hoping this is all some terrible nightmare. Hoping I'll wake up in Finnick's arms, someone telling me it was all just a dream.

"Snow's never been able to get inside your head," Haymitch says, staring me down. "You're the one person he can't control."

Neutro got inside of my head. His death echoes through my mind every time I close my eyes. Enobaria's death was a personal victory for me.

Footsteps make us all turn our heads to the door. Her hair wild and a syringe in hand, Katniss stands in the doorway. She observes all of us, an animalistic look in her eyes.

"What's going on?" she demands.

"Katniss, there's a rebellion going on. All the uprisings...That started once you and Peeta won," Plutarch says carefully.

"Why am I here?"

"The same reason we agreed to die in order to keep Peeta alive," Finnick says bluntly.

"You're the Mockingjay, Katniss," Plutarch continues. "While you live, the revolution lives."

"Where's Peeta?" she demands. Haymitch slowly steps forward, his hands spread.

"He's alive," he says. "But listen. We tried. Honestly. But-"

"YOU LEFT HIM?! YOU GOT HER, BUT YOU LEFT PEETA?!" she screams, glaring at me. Anger flares up within me. I feel Finnick tense and I glance up at him to see his eyes are fixed on Katniss is a cold, deadly glare.

"Now you care?" Finnick spits. "Didn't seem like it when you let the two of you be separated. At least I had the common sense to let nothing separate Asphodel and I."

"Oh please. You're everyone's Golden Boy. You would've suspected something if I insisted Peeta and I went together."

"That's when you deal with it! Who cares if people suspect something?!" He groans. "We're leaving. See you when this thing lands."

Finnick leads me down multiple corridors until we finally reach an empty room. He gets out a loaf of bread and breaks it in two pieces, giving me the larger of them. We sit down on the couch and eat, silently wondering how all this happened.

"I never imagined this would happen," Finnick murmurs. I look over at him, curious. "I never thought I would ever get to meet you again. When I saw you get Reaped, I promised myself I would protect you. I never thought you'd agree to being my ally, though.

"When you did, I was shocked. And then, somehow, all this happened. I fell in love with a girl I thought I could never have. But here we are, alive and together." Both of our bread now gone, I lay down. I rest my head on his lap and look up at him. For a few minutes, that's all we do. Stare at each other.

"I love you," I whisper, despite the pain. Finnick can't help but smile and he kisses my forehead.

"I love you too," he says softly. "Get some sleep. We'll be in Thirteen in a few hours."

So for the first time since I won two years ago, I sleep peacefully in safety. I sleep completely content with my life. I have Finnick, we're alive, and we're - hopefully - safe. I couldn't be happier.