• Father's Day •

Don't forget to vote if you liked this chapter. Feel free to comment ideas or anything! Enjoy!

***
Alyssa's POV
6:58 am
***

Knock knock

"Yeah?" I groan from under my bed covers, reaching a hand out to find my phone and check the time.

My door opens and Grayson walks in. He's dressed in jeans, a flannel and his newly cut hair is still wet from the shower. I check my phone and almost die when I see it's six-thirty am.

"Time to get up!" Gray grins, his dimples pissing me off at this hour.

"Why?" I whine. "It's six freaking am!"

"Perfect time to start work on the farm!" Gray replies, throwing some Jean shorts my way. "Get dressed and meet me downstairs in ten"

"I don't get a say?" I sigh.

"Nope. Downstairs in ten"

Grayson leaves and I groan again. It's finally summer, I finished school and now I have to wake up early to do shit?

I get out of bed and lazily get dressed. I put on a tight white crop top, jean shorts and my Air Force 1s. I put my hair up in a high ponytail and apply lashes and lipgloss.

When I meet Grayson downstairs, he's drinking black coffee and standing out on the porch.

"I'm ready"

He turns around and smiles at me. "Great. Let's go"

***

I'm shovelling horse manure out of the stables when my phone pings loudly. I check it and sigh when I do. It's Father's Day.

Posts fill my feed and I start to feel a little sad. I scroll through photos of celebrities with pictures of them as babies with their fathers.
I have to bite my lip to stop from tearing up.
I miss my dad despite the abuse and fear. He was a nice person when he wasn't drinking and now he's in jail. I don't even know what to do when he gets out.
I pocket my phone before Grayson sees and take my hair down from its ponytail. The hair covers my face like a curtain just as a tear makes its way down my cheek.

"Aly, can you go ask grandma what she needs from the shed?" Gray asks.

I nod, glad for an excuse to go and run up the pathway. I meet grandma on the porch where she's sat on the swing and sipping milky coffee.

"Gray's asking what you want from the shed," I sigh, panting and feeling a little out of breath.

Grandma smiles. "I just need a shovel and some sunflower seeds, honey"

***

The day goes on annoyingly slow. I spend all morning cleaning out animal pens and stables and listening to Grayson whistle.
It starts raining at twelve and Grayson and I go inside.
I feel like going upstairs and crying into my pillow but Angela's up there and Grayson makes me vacuum the living room.

***
1 pm
***

Angela and Uncle Tom come downstairs for lunch and I feel a pang of loneliness strike my heart like a gong. They hug, laugh and joke around. They're having a great Father's Day and don't seem to notice my mood at all. No one has all day, to be fair.
Grayson's been smiling all day and hasn't noticed me either.