Chapter 96

(The rest of this book will be written after COVID-19. Let's just pretend it's gone lol)

***

Alyssa's POV

***

"Pull the needle gently through the hole and close the gap, see? Like this"

It's Thursday evening and grandma's teaching me how to sew. First I hesitated but she said she wanted to talk to me so of course, I had to. 

I follow her instructions and slowly pass the needle through a pair of my ripped leggings. The hole gets smaller and smaller as I repeat the process, listening to the gentle noises of the farm in the distance. I breathe in and out slowly letting the cool breeze refresh my lungs and mind. I feel at peace here in New Jersey and I'm thankful we don't have to leave for a long time. 

"So I had a chat with your brothers yesterday," Grandma says, casually shutting the back door. "About you"

"Great," I mutter, trying hard not to make an excuse to leave. I hate when people talk to me about ME. 

Grandma sighs. "We discussed you staying with me for a little while"

She looks at me as if expecting a giant shock or something. 

"I already am. All of us are," I reply, feeling myself frown a little.

Grandma shakes her head as I pass the needle through the ripped clothing again. 

"Alyssa, dear, I'm afraid you're not getting what I'm saying. I meant that you should stay with me here when your brothers go back to California"

I let out a yelp and look down at my finger that now has a small metallic needle through it. Scarlett red blood spills out the tip and I tie my shirt around the wound firmly, staring at grandma. 

"Don't joke like that!" I sigh, removing my finger from my shirt to observe the damage. 

"Sweetheart, I'm not joking. I think it would be best for you three to spend some time apart. You've been arguing non-stop and it's not healthy. Just look at the other night for example!"

"We're fine!" I say, unable to control the temper in my voice. "Keep yourself out of our business!"

I stand up and storm inside, feeling an electrical feeling race down my spine. She doesn't have the right to pick and prod at my life and tell me where I should be. 

"Young lady, you do not walk away from me when I am talking to you!" Grandma says, sounding a bit ruffled by my tone. 

"Aly, you okay?"

I run into Ethan and step back, shaking my head. He takes me by the shoulders and turns me around. 

"Call me crazy but I think grandma wants to talk to you"

"Well I don't want to talk to her, or anyone else for that matter"

"Alyssa!"

Ethan sounds genuinely shocked.

"It's true!" I argue. "She's trying to take me away from you guys and I don't want that to happen!"

"I don't want that to happen either, Aly, but you still need to be respectful"

"I just wanted to help," Grandma sighs. 

"Well, you're not so....so....just leave me alone!"

I storm upstairs and into my room where Emma's talking to someone on the phone. She gives me a thumbs up with a concerned face but I shake my head and walk into the bathroom, locking the door.