Chapter 69

Alyssa's POV

"D-dad?"

"Hi, sweetheart" he smiles. "My goodness you're gorgeous"

He reaches out to touch my face but I take a step back, not quite trusting this man.
His face falls along with his hand but he plays it off with a small smile.

"Aly, who's at the door? Let them in and shut it, it's freezing!"

I stand there, staring at this man who says he's my dad. Last time I saw him I was about two years old until he left.
He left.

"W-what are you doing here?" I ask, my voice wobbling. "I mean, are you sure-"

I stop short. Of course he's sure. Oh god, is he really my father?

"Alyssa?" Grayson calls again.

I hear footsteps approaching as I swallow a big lump forming in my dry throat.

"Alyssa what's going on?" Grayson asks walking towards me. He suddenly stops speaking when he sees our father.

"Hey, son"

Grayson looks as every bit as gobsmacked as me. He gently pushes me behind him protectively and suddenly his voice turns to ice.

"What are you doing here?"

His tone makes chills go down my spine. Never have I ever heard Grayson this stern. He looks like a dog, growling and spitting foamy saliva. Well, not the spitting part.

"Is your mother around?" Dad asks, scratching the back of his neck. "I-"

"That woman is not here and never will be, okay?" Grayson interrupts. "She's in fucking rehab"

I feel a hand take to my back and look up. Ethan rubs my back and steps forward too.

"What's going on?"

"Ethan? Is this true? Your mother is in rehab?"

Dad looks down at me again but Grayson blocks him from my view.

"Don't look at her" he grits through his teeth. "You should go"

"So, wait, you three live by yourselves?"

Ethan nods. Dad sighs and rubs his face.

"I sent you letters" dad says again. "Lots of them but I got no replies. Then I reached out to your grandparents and they gave me your address. I can't believe I found you kids! My beautiful beautiful kids!"

"What do you want?" Graysons asks coldly, crossing his arms. "You want money?"

"I want to talk to you kids. Explain why I wasn't there"

The lump in my throat grows bigger and suddenly I'm crying. The person who left me is standing right here in front of me. The person who's responsible for making me blame myself for not being enough for him to stay. I suddenly feel a surge of love and hatred. I want him to hug me and say he loves me. Another part of me wants him to leave and never come back. I'm fine with the twins. I don't need anyone else.
Emma walks into the hallway, bag in hand. She kisses Ethan's cheek and says bye quickly before leaving, not wanting to get wrapped up in our family drama.

"Can I please just explain?" Dad tries again.

The boys look at each other. Grayson sighs and tells him to come in. They walk into the living room and sit on the couches. I dither by the staircase wondering if I should go to bed or stay downstairs.

"Alyssa, come here," Grayson says, patting the spot next to him.

I walk over and curl up next to him, suddenly scared to hear what dad has to say.