Chapter 39: Emergencies

Emily and Sam left to go food shopping, so I was sitting at the counter, working on homework. I had started the history notes that our teacher makes us take at the start of a chapter, when there was a really loud car door shutting outside. 

      Before I was able to get up and see who it was, Jake stormed through the door his heavy footsteps echoing in the kitchen. He was huffing like he was trying to catch his breath, "Where is Sam?", he yelled as he made his way toward the living room. 

      "He went to the store with Emily, what is your issue?", he turned to me when he realized I was the only one in the house. 

      "I smell a vampire, I don't know where but there is one around", my eyes opened wide at the news. All of the pack is either at home or patrolling, Paul and Jared were the ones that were scheduled for right now but some of the others decided to join them because they were bored. 

      Jake opened his mouth to start again, but there was a loud howl echoing in the surrounding forest. Jake looked at me, "When I leave lock the door behind me". I nodded and followed him, I watched as he phased into his wolf when he ran away into the forest, I locked the door and moved back to my spot at the counter. I stared down at my book, but I couldn't focus on the work when I know that there is a vampire around and that pretty much everyone I care about is out there right now. 

      I turned on some music, making it a little bit easier to continue my homework. I was able to get all of my homework done when Emily entered the house, bags covering her arms up to her elbows. "Do you need help Em?", she nodded her head and placed her bags onto the counter. I made my way out to the old Chevy truck, grabbing the last of the bags and then went back inside. 

      We put all of the groceries away, when Emily finally spoke for the first time since she got home, "Did you hear the howl?". I nodded and watched as the worry took over her entire face. 

      "Yeah, Jake came over here because he smelled the vampire. He was looking for Sam and when I told him that you guys were out, the howl came and he ran", she nodded and just continued to put the groceries away. 

      "Sam left the store when he smelled the vampire, I haven't seen him since", I gave her a hug as I heard her voice crack. This has been really hard on us, the pack is always out and since Paul was one of the first ones to phase, Sam has given him more responsibility. That leaves Emily and I home alone more now. 

      We sat down at the table together, she seemed more and more worried as time passed, I reached across the table and gave her hand a gentle reassuring squeeze, "They'll be back soon Em. Everything will be okay". She nodded her head and we sat in our chairs just staring at the table until her phone rang. 

      "Hello... Oh my, is she okay?... Yeah, I'll be right there", with that she hung up the phone quickly and grabbed her purse before she turned around, "I have to run to the hospital, my sister got into a car accident. She's okay and Claire was with her father, can you tell Sam to meet me there when he comes back?". I nodded my head and she grabbed the truck keys and left, I watched as she pulled away and then moved my way to the living room. 

      I turned on the television and it was on the Hallmark Channel, I grabbed a bag of pretzels and just watched whatever movie was playing. Although it was really cliché, it gave me a distraction from everything going on around me. I laid down on the couch, my hand rubbing my stomach and then I whispered, "We'll be okay little wolf, they will get her eventually and then we can all live our lives". I turned my attention back to the movie playing on the television, I heard howling off in the distance and it made me nervous again but I decided to try and not think about it. I finished that movie and when the next one started it was pretty much the same as the first, so I let myself drift off.