Chapter 1: Moving In

Last night, my mom and I had our last dinner together and we just talked and talked about what my life will be like now that I'll be back with my old friends and my dad. 

       I haven't seen my dad since May when he came to visit for my stepmom, Katie's, birthday. They came to Seattle and they brought my little brother with them, we all went out to dinner. Since then not much has changed, except my mom got a new job and has to move away. I didn't want to move again and have to make new friends so I called my dad to see if it would be okay if I stayed with him. He was more than excited that I wanted to move back to La Push with him. 

        The last time I was there, was for my dad's wedding a year and a half after I moved away. Billy Black and his son, Jacob, sat at the same table as the family because my dad and Billy are best friends just like Jake and I were. Jake, the boys, and I all ran around on the dance floor without a care in the world. We were all just enjoying the fact that we were together again, but it's been years since then and I don't even know how they're doing.

    I got out of bed at about 9 so that I could shower and get ready for the drive back to the reservation. My mom insisted on driving me so that we could have more time together before she leaves for the airport. Once I got out of the shower, I pulled on jean shorts, a maroon tank top, and my favorite white sneakers. I double checked my room to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything important. Once I was sure that everything was packed, I made my way down stairs and was immediately met with the smell of bacon. 

      I walked to the kitchen and greeted my mother with a small kiss on the cheek as the bacon sizzled from the pan. I moved around her, grabbing two glasses and filling them with orange juice before placing them at our usual places at the counter. Once, she was done making breakfast she put it on our plates and joined me at the counter.

        The first couple of minutes were quiet, until she broke the silence. "You know you don't have to go back to La Push, right?" 

        This whole situation is really hard on both of us. It has just been my mother and I for the last six years. After carefully thinking through the conversation in my head, I finally responded. "I know I don't have to mom, but I'm 16 and you know that I've never really felt at home in the city. I miss La Push, I miss dad, I miss Jake and the boys. When we left I always thought that I would make good friends here too but it's not the same when you didn't grow up together. Moving in with dad is going to be fun, and of course I'm going to miss you but you're going to be super busy with your new promotion. I don't want you to feel guilty for leaving me home. Plus I think going back home will be good for me, this stuffy city air has messed with me enough over the years." She laughed at my last statement as we finished up.   

         We ended up leaving the house at about 10:30. The ride to La Push started out super happy as we listened to music and just talked about her new job. When we passed the welcome to Forks sign is when she seemed to get sad. I know how much it hurts her to come back here, even after all these years. Her parents are buried here and everyone that we ever knew was here, until her and my dad decided to split up. It hurt her too much to stay and watch as everyone lived their lives like normal was she was still struggling with her parents deaths. 

        It seemed like the ride went by so quickly because before I knew it, we pulled up to the house that I remember so vividly. All of the times that the guys came knocking on the door and I was always the one to open it anticipating it was them. All of the memories are making the move so much easier. 

      As I got out of the car, the front door groaned open and my little brother Jackson came running out. He just turned 4 last week and he keeps growing more and more every time I turn around. Next out the door was my dad and then his Katie, they both greeted me before my dad went and got my bags out of the back of my moms car. Katie and I talked for a few minutes about how exciting it is that I'm moving in. Katie, Jackson, and my dad all went back inside so that I could say goodbye to my mom. 

       "I'm going to miss you Cammy" she said with her eyes filling with tears. 

        It hurts to see her cry, but I'm doing this for both of us. This is what we both need and she knows that. "I'm going to miss you too mom. Call me when you get to your new place and tell me all about your flight. I am just a phone call away. Just because we won't be living together it doesn't mean that I won't keep you updated. I love you mom, but you need to go before you miss your flight".  

        We had one last hug before she got back in the car. I walked towards the house and watched as she drove away. Once she was completely out of sight, I walked into the house and shut the door behind me. 

       "Your bags are already in your room and I redecorated it so that it was more like a you now, rather than your childhood." Katie has such a sweet voice and her maternal instincts always kick in when there is any child around. I honestly don't think that my dad could have found a better girl (other than my mother obviously). But I don't compare them, I try to see both of them as my moms. And that's exactly what they both are. 

        I quickly said a thank you while passing her and making my way to my bedroom. She did a really amazing job. There is a full size bed in front of the window and two brand new white dressers with a television on the smaller one. She also put a small vanity in the room because she knows how much I enjoy doing my makeup and things like that. She must have convinced dad that I needed it. The walls that used to be a pale purple are a light shade of gray now. The entire room was amazing and even though it wasn't very large, it felt like I had all the space in the world. 

       After I got done admiring her handy work, I began unpacking all of my clothes and putting them into the drawers and closet. I really do think that this was the best decision for me. Moving back home is going to be really good for me and I can't wait to see the boys.