40 - Love Triangles Suck

*A/N The photo above is what Rosette looks like - she is 37 years old and has been warming Romans bed waiting for Nyx to take her place by his side. She inevitably has fallen in love and has prayed to the Goddess every night that she could have Roman to herself.* 

Roman POV

She was here. I finally got the call that Rosa had delivered her here and she was in her chambers resting. She had already given to her the medicine to help her wake up. Soon my Little Raven would be awake wondering what happened and where she was, and who would be better to explain that then her older brother Jake?

I sat in my office, looking into his grey eyes that were almost identical to her 1 eye. I pursed my lips as he rubbed the back of his neck, "Are you entirely sure this is a good idea? She knows you had a hand in killing our parents er rather she thinks she knows that you killed them. I'm sure she's already had a nightmare about it. I'm just not sure how she is going to take seeing me after all these years..."

He was right to be nervous. His little sister was quite the woman and I too would be acting the same way had I been in his shoes. I chuckled, "I am sure because the Goddess has come to see me in a vision. This is the way it must be done. You can help her see that I mean her no harm. Show her it wasn't really me who killed them. I'm sure Justin will help you if things get to be too much. She isn't as fragile as we used to think. She's quite fierce to say the least. I'm sure you've heard that she nearly burned our manor to the ground."

His eyes darkened just a teeny bit as he narrowed his eyes, "Had she not been shackled and treated like a prisoner perhaps that could have been avoided. She would have stayed had Justin waited for me! Instead he taunted her and now Hellina among many others are dead."

Ah so there it was. He was angry that my son hadn't listened to him. Ah yes, Justin was a loose cannon that played by his own rules but he never disappointed me.

I sighed and shook my head slightly, "Ah yes, Justin is a wild card that I hadn't intended to use. However my patience was wearing thin so I asked him to see if she was awake and alright. Hellina could have killed her with that pipe. Her fate was left in her own hands when she jeopardized what the Goddess has worked so hard for in preparation for tonight. Let her mistakes be a lesson to you to never go against the wishes of the Goddess." I eyed him carefully as he looked down and nodded.

"I'm sorry Master. I just had wanted to be the one to be there when she awoke and I had wanted it to be under better circumstances. I pray the Goddess will find favor in me to help ease Nyx's mind into this. If she is still anything like the girl she was when we were younger she is the most stubborn person I know." He bit his bottom lip and shifted his weight feeling uneasy.

I chuckled, "Ah. I'm sure if you do what we have planned then the Goddess will indeed find favor in you. You've done well thus far. Once you've done this, I will allow you to return to Russia. I know you've favored it there." His eyes lit up and he smiled and nodded.

"Thank you Master. I think I shall see if she's awake. If not I shall sit next to her bedside until she does." I nodded and waved for him to take his leave. It wouldn't be long now and hopefully with the help of her brother she would be convinced to follow through with her part of the ceremony.

I returned to my desk to look over a few things in regards to tonight's festivities when I heard the door creek open. Rosette stepped inside, her red hair catching the soft glow of my office lights casting an amber glow around her face. Her green eyes showed fiercely and unapologetic like the sea during a storm.

"I see that she is here." her voice held jealousy - understandable considering she was my concubine you could say. She had warmed my bed for the past seven years as I waited for Nyx.

She glared at me, placing her hands on the corner of my desk, leaning down until her face was mere inches away from mine, "What shall I do? Shall I leave then? Shall I go to her? Prep her for you? Tell her what pleases you? Shall I tell her of all the nights I warmed your bed only to hear her name come from your lips?" She growled.

I rubbed my chin thinking for a moment before shrugging, "Tell me, what has the Goddess expressed you to do? Has she come to you in a vision demanding you do such things? Or are you simply trying to get a rise out of me knowing your place is no longer next to me in my bed? That you no longer are needed to please me?" Her beautiful freckled face became a lovely crimson as she scowled down at me.

"The Goddess has not paid me a visit in over two years. You know this as well as anyone that she only comes to see you when she wishes her biding be done. Answer me this, do you not feel anything for me? Was the time we spent together all these years as a way for you to fill a void that she left when Luke stole her away? Tell me, What must I do to earn your love Roman? Had she died in those dungeons would I be the one to rule by your side in Immortality?" Bitterness dripped from her lips, causing me to have a strong distaste for my choice as a substitute for Nyx.

I crossed my arms and looked into the sea green eyes before I responded, "You'll never have my love. The Goddess has been working to give me a suitable wife and that is Nyx not you. Your purpose was to be a substitute until Nyx was ready to accept and rule by my side. You knew your duty when you agreed to warm my bed. If you have developed feelings it is of your own fault and not mine. My love is sworn to Nyx and Nyx alone. She will be the only one to share my immortality with once the ceremony is complete."

Rosettes face contorted as if I had physically punched her in the gut. She staggered back a few steps before gaining her composure, a trait that I had always admired in her.

Her eyes became devoid of any emotion as she nodded once, "I see. Forgive my intrusion Master. It was foolish of me to think that I had been favored by the Goddess to be more than just a bed warmer. I shall take my leave and apologize to the Goddess herself and pray she finds mercy for me." I waved my hand for her to take her leave, catching the tear that slid down the side of her face as she quickly made her exit.

I sent a message to Justin, telling him to console Rosette and make sure that she didn't do anything rash. I had just gotten my love back and I would not lose her to Rosette's pettiness.

I leaned back into my chair and sighed heavily, placing both of my hands onto my face using the balls of my palms to rub my eyes.

I looked down just as my phone dinged with a message from Jake.

'Master she is waking. Justin left to console Rosette - I hope she hasn't upset you. She shouldn't have gotten her hopes up. Either way, I will do my best to convince Nyx to accept.'

I smiled. He would do well with her. He was exactly who she needed - someone she could trust to break through her barriers and show her that I was her saviour in this story, not her enemy.