Chapter 9

Hope you enjoy the chapter. Sorry it's not edited so excuse the mistakes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“My turn,” I say. They look at me with surprise and amusement until Reed speaks up.

“Okay then, question one. Who is the current president?”

“Um, Alexander Clarkson,” I answer and Reed nods slowly.

“Beginner’s luck,” he says before trying to think of another question. I look over at Alex to see him over halfway done with cutting the ropes. Just a few more minutes.

“Boys can I tell you what I just realised,” says Reed. They nod at him and he continues. “We only promised to bring in one elementi not two and I don’t know about you guys but Dolson is starting to get on my nerves. Alex’s head snaps up but his fingers are still at work on the rope. Just one more minute.

“I don’t know I think we should keep Melanie alive,” reasons Samson.

“Yeah I think this group needs a bit of a feminine touch,” adds Duke.

“I agree with Reed, Dolson’s attitude is a bit too big for such a little girl. Let’s shoot her,” grimaces Toby. I look at them in horror and Alex’s face mirrors mine.

“These boys are monsters!” Alex whispers.

“Thank you captain obvious,” I reply.  “Now hurry up before one of us meets are maker!”

“I like the way you think Toby!” laughs Reed. “But only if I’m the one pulling the trigger.” Toby nods and then Samson speaks up.

“I see we have are selves in a tie.”

“Looks like Lionel is the tie breaker,” adds Toby with a smirk. I swear i he doesn’t stop smirking as soon as Alex is done with the ropes I’m going to pummel him. Everyone looks at Lionel and I feel the atmosphere shift. My life, Alex’s life. It all depends on who Lionel chooses. Lionel looks between me and Alex but luckily he doesn’t notice Alex trying to undo the ropes. He looks back up at Reed and Reed motions for him to speak. Lionel stares back blankly at them and the boys sigh. So much for that. Lionel is now staring at me and I squirm under his gaze. He’s staring at me and I want to ask why but I’m too focused on the fact that I might be shot in the face any second.

“Looks like the vote went out the window,” says Duke.

“Oh well,” adds Samson. Reed reaches over to a bag next to Lionel and pulls a gun. I keep my eyes trailed on it until it is a few feet away pointing at me.

“Goodbye Dolson. I’d say it was nice knowing you but I wouldn’t want the last things you hear to be lies,” he snickers.  Alex really needs to hurry up about now. The twins are scowling at Reed, probably because they wanted Alex to get shot in the head but Toby is smiling like a kid on Christmas. Lionel continues to stare at me and his eyes are full of pity and grief. No I must be mistaken; he’s a cold heartless monster just like the rest of them. As Reed’s fingers hover over the trigger I let go of a breath I didn’t realise I was holding. The image of my brother fills my mind as I close my eyes and wait for death.

You can say I’m surprised when I feel the ropes slip away from my body instead of a bullet. I open my eyes to see Alex jumping up and poised in an attack position. Well it’s about time. Reed’s face is priceless and its times like this I wish cameras and other electronic devices hadn’t been destroyed in the war so I could take a picture of his face. I jump up and stand next to Alex who hands me my pocket knife.