Unwelcome

Kamala was born in a household where giving birth to a girl a heinous crime and being born a girl was worse than treason.

At least she was fortunate enough to see the light of the world. Many before her had been killed off even before they were born.

When the midwife, came out of the room and announced, "It is a girl", everyone's excitement dampened. She became a burden to her family, the moment she was born.

"Why didn't the mother and the daughter both die?",murmured her grandmother to herself.

"I'd rather not see their faces, or I'll have bad luck all day."

Her grandfather, grandmother and even her own father were beyond disappointed. Only her mother wasn't unhappy with her. But she didn't dare to show her sentiments before her husband and in-laws.

From that very first day, Kamala was neglected and uncared for. She was underfed and underdressed. She had five  brothers, the two elder ones were already married with children, the third worked in the city, and the other two studied in the village school.

Kamala was never sent to school. She was made to work in the fields like a mule. Not a single girl in the entire village had  ever gone to school. They all worked in the fields before marriage and after marriage, their primary job was to do all the housework and give birth to a son each year.

Kamala's mother wanted a different life for her daughter. She didn't want Kamala to suffer like she had all her life. But she was truly powerless. She didn't dare to say anything, she feared the cane in her husband's hand. She was as unwelcome in the house as her daughter.

Sometimes, the little girl would sneak into her brothers' room and go through their books, when no one was around. She loved the colouful pictures alongside the the printed letters. She really wanted to go to school, make friends and study. But she knew that she was not supposed to. Her family had made it amply clear that a girl was never supposed to be educated, her place was inside the house.

One evening, she was going through her brothers' books when she was caught by her grandfather.

He was so enraged that he dragged her by her hair to the courtyard, and caned her until her skin was black and blue with  bruises.

"How dare you, girl!", he screamed with rage."I'll kill you with my own hands if I see you near those books again!"

Kamala cried and cried but in vain.
Hearing the shouts, their neighbours gathered around the courtyard, watching the drama silently.

Some were shocked at the girl's audacity. Others, decided that Kamala got what she deserved. Only her mother,was unable to bear it. She fled to the kitchen, choking back her sobs.

That night, Kamala's grandfather ordered that she was not to be given any food. Hungry, and badly hurt Kamala lay on the cot, her tears had dried leaving dirty streaks on her cheeks.

When her mother came to lay down for the night, she gave her a chappati, that she had smuggled from the kitchen. Kamala knew that if she had anyone in the world, it was her mother.