Chapter 15

Since Doyoung was leaving work early that day to take over Jungwoo's shift, he was working through his lunch break. He asked Hayoung to go downstairs to the café to get him a sandwhich during her lunch break.

"Hi Jungwoo." Hayoung said as she walked into the café, greeting the male behind the counter. Jungwoo gave her a small smile back.

"The usual?" Jungwoo asked her. Hayoung nodded. It seems that she had been going to the café often enough for Jungwoo to know her order.

Hayoung was standing by the pick up side area when Jungwoo's phone suddenly rang, in the middle of making her latte. She watched his eyes widened as he looked at the caller ID before turning to Hayoung.

"Um, it's the hospital. Do you mind if I pick up?" Jungwoo asked her.

"No, not at all, it's probably important." Hayoung told him, shaking her head. She watched as Jungwoo quickly picked up his phone, putting it by his ear.

"Hello?" Jungwoo said. "Oh, eomma? What's wrong."

Suddenly, Hayoung heard yelling from the other side of the line, making Jungwoo flinch. He eyed Hayoung before speaking again.

"Eomma, you can't not do the surgery, your leg is in a really bad condition." Jungwoo told his mother. More yelling from the other side. Jungwoo let out a deep sigh.

"I know you don't like Bomi, but she's the only surgeon that can do the surgery." Jungwoo continued, hand on his hip. He bit his lip as he listened to his mother's response.

"Okay, why don't we talk later when I come by." Jungwoo finished before hanging up the phone. He placed it back into his pocket, exhaling a deep breath as he ran his fingers through his hair. Hayoung could tell that he was frustrated with the situation.

"Mom doesn't want the surgery?" Hayoung asked, leaning on the counter. Jungwoo jumped at the sound of her voice, forgetting that she was there.

"Yeah." Jungwoo said, looking down. He quickly changed his face though, putting on a smile for her.

"Let me finish up your order." Jungwoo said, continuing to prepare Hayoung's food. She watched as Jungwoo pretended that nothing was wrong, acting like it was just another regular day. Deep down, Hayoung knew that he was feeling more than he showed, and a part of her felt bad for him.

"Here you go." Jungwoo said, passing her her order.

"Thanks." Hayoung said, taking it in her hands. She turned around to leave the café but turned back to the male who had began wiping the counter.

"Um, I know we're not that close but if you need anything, I'm here too." Hayoung told him. Jungwoo looked down at the cloth in his hands for a second before looking back up at her.

"Thanks Hayoung, that means a lot." Jungwoo said, giving Hayoung a small smile as she left the café.

When she made it back up, she popped into Doyoung's office, passing her brother his sandwhich before picking up two of the folders sitting on his desk.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Doyoung asked as he noticed her leaving with the folders in her hands.

"I'll deal with these. I think you should leave the office earlier today." Hayoung said before heading to her own office.

...

"Eomma please, you need this." Jungwoo begged from the side of his mother's hospital bed.

Jungwoo had made his way to the hospital as soon as he could. Doyoung was even nice enough to arrive at the café earlier than usual, making Jungwoo wonder if it was Hayoung's doing.