Chapter 11

After a little more time lounging in the sun, I decide to escape for a few minutes. I head back up to the apartment to the solitude of my bedroom in order to change out of my bathing suit and into some dry clothes. I slip into a clean pair of cotton panties and one of my favorite lace covered bras, then I pull on the same denim shorts I had on before we went swimming. I pull open my dresser drawers and search through quickly for a dry top, deciding on a lilac colored tank covered in small white polka dots. I turn into the bathroom and hang my wet swim suit on the towel rack, remembering the way Dex's shoulders felt under my hands and how his hands felt wrapped around my wrists. I shake my head, trying to remove the thoughts before going back down stairs to the party.

Heading for the door, I have the doorknob in my hand, but stop when I hear voices down stairs in the garage. It takes me a minute, but I quickly realize that it's Dex and Luke talking. They must be getting drinks from the fridge. I can't make out everything they are saying, but I am able to determine that they are partially talking about me. It's muffled through the door, but I hear Dex's deep laugh and words that sound like, "Just trying to make her cousin feel at home."

Luke's voice comes through much clearer, "Dude, you were all over her in the pool. She just had a really bad break up with her dickhead ex-boyfriend. Kristin is really worried about her getting hurt again."

Well, great...seems like everyone knows about what Zack did to me. It's sweet for Kristin to worry, but I really don't want so many people knowing my personal business. I lean a little closer to the door, although it seems that their voices are getting louder anyway.

"I'm not going to hurt her," I hear a clear response from Dex.

"It's not so much you I'm worried about bro, it's Rachel," Luke responds.

They're both quiet and I hear the fridge door close. I wait a couple more minutes and open the door. I skip down the first few steps and freeze when I see Dex standing at the bottom of the stair case, directly blocking my path. I notice he's still shirtless as I take in the wall of pure muscle in front of me. As I move down a couple more steps, I see him look at my clothes as he says, "I guess this means no more splashing in the pool today. I'll just have to get you next time."

I look up and smile back at him, "Oh, I don't think so," is the only comeback I can manage.

We're close enough now that I can feel the air heat between our bodies. He moves his hand up and gently pushes a piece of my hair out of my face, letting his hand linger slightly near my cheek. I feel my breathing start to increase at his closeness and my body starts to tingle all over. He leans in closer and whispers, "I think I win this round." He seems to stand even taller as a broad smile touches his lips. I feel my cheeks flush as the heat radiates through me. He knows exactly what he is doing and I feel slightly embarrassed by my reaction. He finally steps aside and lets me pass so I can walk back towards the party.

I can feel him behind me as I walk back to the back yard and the patio. I find Kristin and Courtney sitting at the table with a few other girls. Kristin introduces me. They're a couple player's girlfriends, like I had already assumed, but I'm distracted and I know I won't remember their names. I'm having trouble taking my eyes from Dex as I watch him walk back to the cornhole game, rejoining Luke, Tyler and Logan. From a distance I see him pull his t-shirt back over his head and slide a backwards baseball cap down over his hair. I try to join the conversation with the girls, but I can see Kristin smirking at me like she knows that I was just checking him out. I can't deny it, he's completely gorgeous, so I just smile brightly back at her.

Kristin stands from the table, "I think someone turned my music down," she frowns. She takes a couple steps towards her phone and pushes the button, increasing the volume. She points at me as "Sugar'by Maroon 5 comes through the speakers. I immediately stand and we lock eyes, starting our own sing along. This is normal for us to do when we're alone, but the alcohol we've both consumed makes it easier for putting on a show. I see the guys in the distance leaving their game and walking towards the patio. Courtney and a few of other girls join us as a Jonas Brothers song starts. A small audience has grown as we keep dancing and singing through a couple more songs. I catch Dex watching me, but just as I smile at him, he pulls his phone from his pocket. As he glances at the screen, I see his face change instantly from carefree to dark and angry.

"What the fuck!" I hear him exclaim over the music as he walks towards the driveway, putting his phone to his ear.

I look to Kristin for explanation but she just shrugs.

Luke looks at us and says, "Must be Rachel." He doesn't hide his disgust as he continues, "The stupid bitch won't stop calling and begging him for another chance. He gets so pissed when she calls, yet he keeps answering it. I tried to tell him to ignore her or block her number, but obviously he isn't listening to me."

Dex returns to the patio after only being gone for a few minutes, but his entire demeanor has changed. I watch as he leans into Luke and says, "You need to keep your fucking mouth shut little brother." Hearing the anger in his voice as he speaks to Luke shocks me. All afternoon he seemed so fun loving and carefree; this seems like a completely different person. I look wide eyed at Kristin and she's wearing an expression that I'm sure matches my own. Dex turns and walks towards the pool, where he stands alone, hands in his pockets.

I look back at Kristin, "What just happened?" She gives me another shrug and Luke looks between the two of us.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of this," he says turning to walk towards his brother. He clasps Dex on the shoulder, standing just behind him. I can't hear anything they're saying but I see Dex turn and walk towards the driveway without giving another look towards the remaining party. Luke returns to Kristin's side. "He going home. I think he's slightly embarrassed since he acted like such an ass."

I excuse myself deciding that I'm going to call it a night. Kristin chases behind me, catching me just before I go upstairs. "Do you mind if Luke stays the night?" she asks.

"No, of course not," I say. She looks back at me, her eyes a little fuzzy from the alcohol.

"You know Dex was only embarrassed because heacted like that in front of you," she says. I don't want to talk about this right now with a slightly drunk Kristin,so I lean over and give her a hug and whisper, "Thanks for the party, I had alot of fun." I let her go and turn towalk up the stairs while she returns to the dwindling party.