Chapter 2

I wheel around on my heel, feeling the urge to slap him but I stop when I see his face. I can't pinpoint the flash in his eyes, could it be regret or remorse? I highly doubt it, but there is something that makes me stop.

"Do not touch me!" I yell.

"Mia, I've been calling and texting all summer. When are you going to give me the chance to explain?" he pleads. A charge runs through my body. I cannot believe the nerve he has.

"Explain! How in the world could you possibly explain what you did to me?"

My mind flashes to the last time I actually physically saw him, and I instantly feel ill at the thought. I had finished my final exams early last spring, so after packing up my dorm room and loading up my car I decided to stop at Zack's apartment before making my drive home to Oceanside. I knew we'd still see each other over the summer, but I thought we'd get one last bite to eat before I drove the two hours back home. I had knocked on the door but there was no answer. His car was in the parking spot, so I figured he was either napping or in the shower. I tried the doorknob and sure enough it was unlocked, so I went in to surprise him. Unfortunately, it was me who ended up getting the surprise. My heart sank as I walked in and saw a trail of female clothing spread out down the hallway. Even worse was when I could hear them. My body froze, refusing to move even though I was trying with all my might to turn and leave. Instead, I sat down in the hallway and put my head in my hands. I'm not even sure how long I sat there. It was the "other girl" who broke me from my stupor. I heard her squeaky voice, "Uh...Zack. There's some chick sitting in your hallway." Then I heard him from the next room, "Oh fuck!" his voice rushed towards me loudly as he appeared in front of me, wearing only his boxers. At the sight of him I could finally feel my legs again and I forced myself to stand. I just looked at him, trying to form words that wouldn't come. I could feel vomit rising in my throat, despite my stomach being empty. "Mia, I'm so sorry," he started but I immediately put my hand up to stop him from going any further. I finally found a little strength and threw it all into my words, "You know what, Zack? I don't want to hear whatever shitty excuse you think you can pawn off on me for this to be okay. This is over, it should have been a long time ago. I don't want to see you or talk to you again." After my little speech I quickly turned and walked out the door, and I hadn't seen him since.

The first few days and weeks after I walked out, he had tried to call and text, but I couldn't listen to it. Zack and I had dated off and on for about a year and unfortunately this wasn't the first time this had happened. He had cheated at least once before, although the first time I didn't have the pleasure of catching him in the act. A friend had seen him and he confessed when I confronted him about it. I had broken up with him then too, but he came groveling. He made promises and apologies that it would never happen again. I was naïve enough to believe him and take him back. To be honest I'm not even really sure why I did, comfort, I guess. Zack was comfortable and the relationship was something I was used to. The one thing I was thankful for throughout was that I had never slept with him, otherwise I'd be first in line at the clinic to get tested. I also shudder to think how much my heart would be broken if I had shared myself with him in such an intimate way just for him to jump in bed with any random girl he could hook-up with when I wasn't around.

I glance at his face; his mouth is open as if he wants to speak but he can't. I know he has no answer because there is no possible explanation that can make what he did to me okay. He manages to find his voice, "You've been ignoring me all summer. Please just give me another chance. I want you...no, I need you back. I thought...I thought, maybe you can move in with me when you come back to campus?"

Is he joking? Even if I was going back to campus, does he really think I would move into the apartment where I walked in on him screwing someone else? Do I have desperate written across my forehead? I see Kat smirk, realizing that Zack has no idea that I'm leaving California. A slight wave of guilt washes over me, but it passes quickly as I remember that I'm not the guilty party in this situation. I lift my eyes to meet his gaze.

"What?" he questions.

"Zack, I'm not coming back to campus."

"What do you mean? You can't just quit school, you have to come back," he stutters.

"I'm not quitting, I'm transferring to a different school," I clarify.

"Transferring...why? Where?" he asks. I'm not really sure why he's acting like he cares or why he suddenly seems to want me back. He cheated on me at least twice that I know of. He obviously didn't want me while he had me, so why not just let go.

"I just need a change. I'm doing what I should have done a year ago. I leave for Boston tomorrow," I tell him. Zack's eyes go wide in disbelief.

Before he can respond Kat gently touches my shoulder, "Let's get you home. You need a good night's sleep before you leave."

I look one more time at Zack's shocked expression and whisper, "Goodbye." He moves to try to follow us, but Kat shakes her head no in warning, ever the big sister. As we exit the bar, we see his preppy friend put a hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry dude, there are plenty of chicks here tonight to help you forget about her."

A few hot tears roll down my cheeks as we drive home.

"You okay?" Kat asks.

"Yeah, I'm good. I was just hoping to avoid that. I haven't seen him since I ended it. I don't have any feelings left for him, but seeing him reminds me of how much time and energy I wasted on that relationship. I just get angry with myself for being so stupid." The rest of the short ride home is quiet. Mom and Dad have already gone to bed, so we're quiet as we walk upstairs and walk towards our bedrooms.

"Nighty night," Kat says with a small smile. I take two steps towards her and wrap my arms around her, "Goodnight." I release her quickly and retreat to my room.

In the solitude of my room, the knot in my stomach grows and I spend the night tossing and turning through hours of broken sleep. Am I making the right decision?