32. Coda's POV teaser chapter

A/N-This is more of an extra chapter. it is super short, you have been warned. I wanted to explore Coda's vulnerabilities  a little bit more. Coda isn't always as strong as he seems and i wanted to explore his thoughts on Hazel and his inability to let go of his past so here it is. This extra does take place right after chapter 31 and the inccident with Rick. Enjoy! i will try to update soon. Merry Christmas! please vote and comment!

CODA POV

Flashback

            She sits in the passenger seat, her feet curled beneath her legs as she stares intently at her book.

            The bridge of her nose crumples from her concentration, the corners of her lips creasing.

            The air Is quiet and still—peaceful.

            A gentle breeze brushes through the open car windows and I want to reach past the counsel divide between us and tuck that strand of hair behind her ear but I don’t.

            She is confusing.

            I don’t understand how she can be a flying storm of lightening and thunder with all her bickering antics and yet still find the peace of mind to just sit and read. She is not the calm before the storm, and in some way, that annoys me.

            Her impulsiveness and her quickly lit temper were traits that I never thought I would be able to endure and yet here we were, months into the contract.

            She smiles softly to herself and I glance down at the book, the cover tattered, ripped between the e and r of Wuthering Heights.

            She laughs and I want to know why. I want to know the reason for her smile.      When she pushes up her glasses, subconsciously ducking her head lower, I chuckle softly.

            “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same,” She says out loud, half pondering the statement, half marveling over it.

            She suddenly looks up at me, a thoughtful smile on her face, her hand fiddling with the book page.

            “What an interesting statement to make.”

            “Do you not like it?” I ask her, leaning back in my seat.

            Her gaze flickers over the ocean in front of us, the smile never leaving her face.

            “I love it,” she murmurs.

            I nod in understanding, the sun beginning to set. “Tell me your other favorite quotes.”

            She purses her lips trying to stop her smile. “You want to hear me talk?”

            The skepticism in her voice is humorous but I try to keep a straight face. “You bore me to sleep with your talking and I am having trouble sleeping.”

            She snorts and I turn away, a smile on my lips.

            “You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you."