42.Steamy Windows (Part 1)

Chapter 42 (PART 1)

            "Secure the perimeter of the building. If you see anyone from the Blood Kings we retreat," Coda commands.

            Tristan and Aurelio nod, getting out of car quickly.

            I stare out the window, my eyes glued to the door of the small house a few yards away.

            I silently hope that Santiago is able to convince the man in there to help us.

            "Are you sure he'll help us?" I ask, biting my lip.

            The air is frigid—even in the car and I begin to wonder how the fall season came so quickly without my notice.

            Coda takes my hands in his, rubbing it together to keep them warm.

            "I'm not sure about anything. We can only hope," he reminds me, frowning.

            "Do you think he'll tell Cordero?" I ask.

            "He might. We are asking him to betray Cordero, his gang leader," Coda says.

            I make a small noise, the tightness in my chest aching.

            Even though he doesn't say it, Coda isn't happy that I came with them.

            Shifting, I wince when I stretch my side with the knife wound.

            Thankfully, it wasn't a deep wound. Della only had to put in a few stitches before slapping a bandage over it and calling it a day.

            From the looks of it though, Coda made it seem like I had amputated my arm.

            It started yesterday morning when I woke up to find him hunched over and sleeping on my arm by my bedside.

            When I had nudged him off as gently as I could to regain feeling in my arm, Coda had woken up ballistic and frantic.

            It had taken me threatening to walk out of the house myself and a few thumps on his head to get him to "allow" me to go with them to visit one of his "friends" that could help us decode the flash-drive.

            "Does it hurt too much?" Coda asks, his eyes scrutinizing me in worry.

             I blink, snapping out of my thoughts. "Not too much."

            Coda is barely listening to me as he snaps off his seatbelt as well as my own.

            "What are you doing?" I ask, dubious as Coda moves closer to me.

            "Lie down," he commands.

            "Excuse me?"

            "Lie down," he repeats, irritated. He gestures to his lap and I grow beet red.

            "No!  Santiago or Aurelio can come back any moment now and you know how Aurelio is. If he saw us like that he would never let us live it down."

            Coda rolls his eyes, tugging my elbow until I comply.

            Heaving a heavy sigh, I lay my head down on his lap and gingerly stretch my body out on the backseat of the car.