Kaito x Maki AU

AU where Maki is executed instead of Kaito.

Kaito froze as he heard the name of the blackened leave Monakuma's mouth.

"Maki Harukawa"

It played over and over in his head as he slowly looked over to Maki.

She looked blank.

"M..Maki roll" he said with disbelief

She looked Him in the eye and the. Looked to her feet.

"I.. I'm so sorry Kaito..." she said quietly in a monotone voice.

Kaito felt a tear run down his cheek

"M..m...Maki you c..can't die" he said with a stutter.

"Don't make this harder than it already is Kaito... please" she said with tears daring to leave her eyes.

Kaito ran over to her

"No no no no You can't die Maki... please tell me this is a joke please" Kaito said grabbing her shoulders forcing her to look at him.

He saw something he had never seen in the Young assassins eyes before...

Fear

He watched as a single tear ran down her cheek

She collapsed into his arms

"I..I don't wanna d..die Kaito I..I'm sorry I take it back.. I DONT WANNA DIE" she screamed through her tears.

Shuichi and everyone else watched through tears in their eyes, letting them have their moment.

Kaito wrapped his arms around her running his hand through her hair.

"I don't want you to go either Maki... I didn't even get the chance to tell you..." he stopped

She looked up with determination in her eyes

"Tell me what Kaito" She said looked into his eyes.

"I.. I'll show you" he said as he bent down lifting he chin up.

Her eyes widened as he closed the gap between them with a kiss..

With the acknowledgment that Maki would die...

With Maki regretting everything...

With them knowing they will never be together again...

He pulled away

"I.. I love you Maki roll" he whispered

Maki froze as Monakuma announced those fateful words...

"It's punishment time"

Kaito hugged maki as she was ripped from his grasp.

*execution*

Maki looked around to see all the people she's ever executed with bats and sticks and... knives...

She began to run as they all started racing after her screaming "endure it" over and over.

She ran until she couldn't anymore

"I love you too Kaito..." she whispered as they surrounded her and with that the execution of Maki Harukawa was finished.

Everyone sat in silence

Kaito sitting on his knees in disbelief.

"M..Maki Roll..." he said as he cried silently.

Shuichi stepped toward Kaito and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"..Kaito... I..I'm sorry" he said quietly.

Kaito sniffled as he got off the ground.

"I'm going to live... we are going to escape.. for.. for Maki... for EVERYONE...we we have lost to many people.. to many friends... to many... special people. I'm going to live as I hope the rest of you will" Kaito said as he left the room.

Kaito laid in his room that night coughing up blood More than he ever had before.

In the morning Shuichi discovered that Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars...

was dead.

Okay so that's it Mollronpa made a one shot similar so go check theirs out. I hope you liked it. It wasn't the greatest but I'm in a car on my way home from vacation. Have a lovely day 😗✌️