Chapter 16

Wanda, Clint, and I arrived at the church, Pietro zipping up to his twin. "Romanoff, you and Banner better not be playing hide the zucchini," Tony warned. "Why would they have a zucchini?" I asked, shooting a sentry. "You know what, since it came from Tony, I don't wanna know," I said. "Relax, Shellhead. Not all of us can fly," Nat said.

She and Banner hopped out of a truck, sentries piled up in front. "What's the drill?" She asked. "This is the drill. If Ultron gets a hand on the corner, we lose," Tony warned as Ultron hovered in front of the church. "Is that the best you can do?" Thor challenged. Ultron raised a hand, and hundreds of sentries poured out of everywhere.

"You had to ask," I muttered. "This is the best I can do. This is exactly what I wanted. All of you, against all of me. How can you possibly hope to stop me?" Ultron sneered. "Like the old man said. Together," Tony said, and the entries changed. We did not hold back. As I fired more and more acid at the oncoming sentries, I started to feel dehydrated.

I opted to pull out my rifle, firing it as fast as I could at the sentries. Thor, Vision, and Tony all shot their beams at Ultron to suppress him. After Hulk knocked Ultron into the sky, the sentries started running, flying off the edge in an attempt to escape. "They're trying to leave the city," Thor said. "We can't let them, not even one. Rhodey!" Tony said.

"I'm on it. Oh, no. I didn't say you could leave. War Machine, coming at you. Okay, what?" Rhodey asked when Vision started ripping the bots apart. "We gotta move out. Even I can tell the air's getting thin. You guys get to the boats, I'll sweep for stragglers. I'll be right behind you," Cap said. "What about the core?" Clint asked. "I'll protect it. It's my job," Wanda offered. "I'll help you with the stragglers," I said, running off before anyone could object.

"I'll take the east, you take the west," I said, and Cap nodded. After a thorough sweep, I didn't find anyone. "Follow me! We're gonna get you out of here!" I called to the people still hiding in the rubble. They followed me back to the carrier boats, running on as fast as they could. Bullets started raining down, heading straight towards Clint.

I closed my eyes, not wanting to watch. The bullets stopped, and I opened my eyes. A few had hit me in the arms and leg, causing pain to jolt through me when I moved. I saw Clint, using his body to shield a little boy. Then I saw Pietro, his body littered with bullet holes.

"You didn't see that coming?"