Chapter 15

"Come on, follow me! We're gonna get you out of here!" I called, waving my arms. People started following, as the others guided people towards me. I led them out of the city, standing on a bridge and urging them on. "Get anyone you find to follow you! Get as far away from the city as you can!" I directed. Sentries started crawling out of the ground and flying in the air.

Everyone started screaming as the sentries rained fire down on the city. I whipped out my pistols, shooting any sentry that went towards the citizens. The ground started to crack, the chunk of the earth we were on starting to float. People grouped as buildings crumbled, bridges, and roads breaking. "Do you see the beauty of it? The inevitability? You rise only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword, and the Earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me, it means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal," Ultron sneered.

An involuntary shiver ran down my spine at the sinister monologue. "Cap, you got incoming," Tony warned on the coms. "Incoming already came in. Stark, you worry about bringing the city down safely. The rest of us have one job - tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt em back. You get killed, walk it off," Cap said over the coms. "It's kinda hard to walk if you're dead!" I exclaimed. "Your sarcasm is not needed right now," Cap said.

I started hovering in the air like one of Ultron's sentries. "That's new," I observed. I spotted Clint and Wanda started to get overrun and flew over there to help. I pulled my pistols out, but a cloud of sentries appeared. Clint grabbed both of us, jumping through a window.

 "Hey, hey, you okay?" Clint asked Wanda. "This is all our fault," Wanda whimpered. "Hey, look at me. It's your fault, it's everyone's fault. Who cares? Are you up for this? Are you?" 

"Look, I just need to know because the city i-is flying. Okay, look, the city is flying, we're fighting an army of robots...and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes sense. But I'm going back out there because it's my job. Okay?" 

"And I can't do my job and babysit. It's doesn't matter what you did, or who you were. You go out there, you fight, and you fight to kill. Stay in here, you're good. I'll send your brother to come find you, but if you step out that door, you are an Avenger." 

"Alright, good chat. Yeah, the city is flying," He said, pulling out arrows and going back outside. "Was this what happened when you joined?" She asked me. "No, all I got was a com and some instructions. Look, I ain't good at speeches. But I'll do my best. We are hundreds of feet in the air, fighting an army of robots, and I'm a kid with a few guns and some cool tricks. My world has never made sense." 

"But I gotta go back out there because if I don't, people will die. And I'm not gonna risk that. So whether or not you join us is up to you, but if you step out that door, you're committing to this life. There's no backing out," I warned, pulling out my guns and running back out the doors.

"What were you doing?" Clint asked as he shot a sentry. "Following your and Cap's footsteps," I replied, shooting a sentry. We released projectile after projectile, but they kept coming. I groaned as a small hoard appeared. Luckily, Wanda decided to join the fight and helped us with our bot problem.

"Alright, we're all clear here," Clint reported. "We are not clear! We are very not clear!" Cap exclaimed. "Alright, coming to you," Clint said. A blur, aka Pietro, came, scooped Wanda up, and left. "Keep up, old man!" He called.

Clint drew an arrow, aiming it in Pietro's direction. "Nobody would know. Nobody. 'The last I saw him, Ultron was sitting on him. Oh, yeah, he'll be missed. That quick little bastard, I miss him already,'" Clint muttered, putting the arrow back as we jogged in Cap's direction. "You know, I said that to you and ended up getting adopted," I said. "You're not a pain in the ass," He replied. "The next wave's gonna hit any minute. What you got, Stark?" Cap asked.

"Uh, nothing great. Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear," Stark said. "I asked for a solution, not an escape plan," Cap responded, and we slowed down. "Well, there are worse ways to die. At least the view's nice," I said. "Glad you like the view, Agent Romanoff, Agent Scotch. It's about to get better," Fury's voice said over the coms. Clint and I ran to the edge of the rock to see what Fury was talking about, which was a helicarrier.

"Nice, right? Pulled her out of mothballs with a couple of old friends. She's dusty, but she'll do," Fury said. "Fury, you son of a bitch," Steve muttered. "Oh, you kiss your mother with that mouth?" Fury responded. "You are a son of a bitch, Fury. And I thank whatever the hell runs the universe for it," I said as carrier boats come out of the side of the helicarrier. "At least someone's appreciative," He responded. "Let's load em up," Cap said. 

Sentries started flying at the helicarrier but got shot down by Rhodey, aka War Machine. Clint and I ran to where the carrier boats were stationed to help guide people on. A carrier landed in front of us, and Wanda let the people she was holding back move. "Alright, here we go, here we go. Let's move," Clint urged. "Thor, I have a plan!" Tony said.

"We're out of time. They're coming for the core," Thor reported. A little girl tripped, so I grabbed her and hauled her up. In a window, I saw a flash of black hair and green eyes, before the building fell on top of them. "There's someone in there!" I shouted to Clint, taking off. I pushed through the rubble, finding the girl.

I checked for a pulse, but there wasn't one. I picked her up and loaded her onto a carrier that held the dead. "Rhodey, get the rest of the people on board that carrier. Avengers, time to work for a living," Tony said. I set the girl down, then shot back into the streets. I passed Nat who was in a truck thing.

"We've been doing that already!"