Chapter Five

Hopping back into the Hummer, Kara slammed the door while she waited for Jared to climb in the other side. He shot his gun at something behind them before jumping in. "That was too close for comfort," he said, starting the engine.

She looked out the back window and saw that the group was closing in on them, only two cars behind now. They weren't like the zombies on most television shows that walked or ambled their way around. Some could run and were much more dangerous. It seemed that they retained their habitual memories, like if they were a runner, they could still run...swimmers could swim, so safety wasn't guaranteed because you didn't know who you were going up against. That's what made this trip so dangerous and why she wanted to do it alone. She didn't want anyone risking their life for her, especially not anyone she cared about.

"Are you sure you're okay," he asked again as he started to drive.

Kara examined her leg and ankle. No skin appeared to be broken. "I think so."

"Ya, I know your leg is okay, but I mean you," he said clarifying what he meant. "Are you okay? You froze out there."

"Guess I had the wind knocked out of me."

The last thing she wanted to do was get into a conversation about why. They've had brief discussions about her past, but talking about it was not her favorite thing to do. She was thankful when he let the conversation go, giving her a compassionate nod—almost like he read her mind. Kara glanced at the clock on the dashboard. It was still early morning, so they should be able to reach their destination a few hours before the sun sets...as long as they didn't run into any other hurdles along the way.

"Have you heard any reports of the roads up ahead?" she asked him.

He switched the vehicle into a higher gear as he picked up speed on a clear stretch of road. "Some aren't good. We may have to do some off-roading and take some backroads, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it," he said.

If they could continue at this pace, they'd get there in no time, and she'd be able to see her daughter again. Her stomach filled with butterflies. She couldn't wait to pull her into her arms and spin her in the air. Be there to protect her, like only a mother could. Tickle her silly and listen to her giggle, her smile lighting up every corner of Kara's heart. Selena deserved the best in this world, and she was going to find a way to give it to her, even during the earth's darkest time. There was no way she was ever going to leave her side again.

"That smile is much better." Jared said, snapping her out of her thoughts.

Kara ran a hand through her short, wavy blond hair. "I was just thinking about Selena."

"She'll be a heartbreaker someday if she looks anything like you."

His comment sent a sizzle of heat through her body, making it stop in a place that had no action for months. "Don't do that."

"What? I'm just speaking the truth."

"Jared, I like you. I do. But you know I'm married." And she intended to stay faithful, no matter how her body responded to another man. Her relationship with Shawn may not be what it should be, but she couldn't—wouldn't cheat on him.

He grinned and shrugged his shoulders innocently. "That doesn't mean I can't compliment you."

She opened her mouth to refute him, but came up empty. Receiving compliments, especially from a guy, moved her into uncertainty territory. It was something she wasn't used to. "Just focus on driving."

"Doesn't your husband tell you how beautiful you are?"

Kara squeezed the armrest as anger made her chest tighten. She tried to take deep breaths, in and out, counting to five with each action. When she finally felt like she had her temper in check, she said, "Leave it alone, please." She didn't need him to try and butter her up. She knew his words weren't true. Her husband reminded her of that every time he looked at a porn site.

"I can't stand to see you wasting away," he said softly. "You are a beautiful woman and should be allowed to own that."

"I'm not beautiful. My eyes are too far apart. My nose is too pointy. My teeth are crooked, and I have an overbite. My breasts are too small for any guy to care about, and I have a stomach pouch I can't get rid of. So tell me, what part of that is beautiful?" she cried, tears shimmering in her eyes. "My dad made sure I knew how ugly I was and so does Shawn."

Jared took a moment and glanced in all the side and rearview mirrors. Seemingly happy with what he saw, he pulled the car to another stop. Undoing his seat belt, he turned sideways in his seat. He looked like he wanted to pull her over the center console, but he didn't. "We all have flaws, but that doesn't make us who we are. And who you are is beautiful, inside and out."

Oh, how she wished she could believe it. And with the look in his eyes, it made her want to, but she'd heard enough to know the truth. Why else would the kids in high school call her an ugly dog? Why would her dad do the same if it wasn't true? When she looked in a mirror, all those comments would come rushing back. Taunting her. Haunting her. She knew she looked like a rabbit because of her buck teeth.

"You're just saying that because you want a quick lay," she said, cringing at how crude she sounded.

"This has nothing to do with sex."

"Fine, look at me and tell me you don't want to have sex with me."