Chapter 14: Just for Fun

Shadé

"Why does she like you?"

His glare did not falter, not one bit as I asked the very question that he did Frank. I knew he recognized it because he immediately rephrased the question back to me.

"Why do you like him," he asked, his voice was much softer compared to earlier.

"You need to answer me first, Vincent," I demanded. "You are putting my damn job on the line because you're involving other people into this!" What was this though?! I didn't even know what this was!

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to, Shadé," he apologized, his face finally matching the softness in his voice. "But I have to know... what makes him better than me," his voice cracked before he quickly cleared his throat.

"Better than you? Vincent, you are a damn Prince! You shouldn't concern yourself with one-upping one of your family's employees! Why are you so interested in my relationship with Frank, anyway?" I questioned, already knowing the answer dreaded.

"Because I'm interested in you."

There it was.

"I could have a shitty day for fuck's sake, and if I get to talk you by the end of the day, my mind forgets all the troublesome shit I'd been through. I love your company, Shadé. I'll be a weak arsehole to sit here and allow another man to put a smile on your face, especially when I know it should be me. I should be the man that puts that smile on your face." He was coming closer to me. My heart was about to leap out of my ass.

I couldn't face him after what he just said. I quickly turned around and unlocked the door, preparing to leave until his large, veiny hand shot past my face and aggressively slammed the door shut. His other hand gently grazed my waist as he reached over to lock the door.

"Stay," he begged, desperately. His hands were still planted on the door, neither of them touching me.

"Vincent no-."

"Please," he interrupted as I sighed, holding my head down.

"Vincent, you're supposed to be getting engaged to Melanie Callahan, the daughter of the Baroness of Hawthorne," I stated, still facing the door. I looked up and watched his fist tighten, the veins in his hands protruding as they grew redder than usual.

"Where did you hear this," he asked stiffly, his voice was considerably closer to my ear. The warmth from his chest was burning my back.

"I was in the room when the Queen, the Queen Mother, and the Baroness talked about your future wife. I don't know what she looks like, but I know she's gorgeous. She graduated from a prestigious university like you. She does a lot of charity work, she's remarkably smart with two degrees, she...," I stopped, noticing his deafening silence. I was shaking, afraid to turn around, but did so anyway. I observed the empty look in his bright blue eyes until they averted from the door and landed on me. The life in them were immediately revived as they did so. "You didn't know, did you," I asked warily.

"No," he shook his head. "But I'm not ready to be someone's husband because I want someone I know I can't have," he admitted as his hand costively wrapped around the small of my waist, pulling me closer to him.

His teakwood scent was intoxicating my senses as I stared into his blue gaze. My hands cupped his chiseled, bearded jaw. I was already taller than usual with my heels, so with ease, I leaned up and kissed his cheek softly. His clear skin felt like silk under my full lips. A breathless moan escaped his lips in response.

"Please don't do this to me," he said warningly, his voice becoming uneven.

I ignored him, unsure of what he meant. I moved to kiss his next cheek, but before my lips could even land on his skin, he captured them within his own. My hands slid from his jaw until they found themselves in the roots of his dark brown hair. I parted my lips to lick his bottom lip and without a second thought; he opened his mouth for me. We deepened the kiss with the infusion of our tongues as he pressed his body flush against mine, pushing me against his room door. One of his hands held the back of my head to protect it from slamming so aggressively against the door. The other hand slid down my waist and grabbed a handful of my ass in his large palms.