GILLY

Gilly ducked under a sconce, inches from Rumpelstiltskin's room. 

Jax had been right. They needed a plan. And with her memories back, she had one. 

Professor Wolfington's voice had been echoing in her mind like the call of a whale ever since her memories had returned, pounding out all other thoughts, even the rush of concern for Jax and all her friends. Ollie, Kayla, Jocelyn, AG...what had happened to them? Were they dead? In service, as Jax and Gilly had been? And Devin, had Olivina killed her as she'd threatened? If so, Heath would have killed himself-she knew it. God, she hoped that wasn't the case. Rumpelstiltskin wouldn't have allowed her to have so much free reign. But Gilly wasn't sure. 

Gilly had asked Wolfington what he thought Rumpelstiltskin's weakness may be. It had once been Alva, but when Alva had been killed, she had remained beyond whatever lay between the bonds of mortality and death. I don't think there's anything we can use against him, she had said. Especially with Olivina. He's nearly invulnerable, now. He's so consumed with revenge, against Jax, and me. I don't know how we can even try to fight him. 

His reply had been firm, but kind. Gillian, no one is invulnerable. Mortals, even those burdened with enchantments and magical power, must always have a weakness. It is what separates mortality and immortality. The ability to die, and the possession of faults and weaknesses. Do not worry that he is so intent against you and Jax. Revenge, in a way, is it's own sort of weakness. 

Gilly's half-formed plan led her straight to the door of Rumpelstiltskin's bedroom. She stood before the door, glancing behind her at Jax. 

He was breathing hard, looking winded and a little bewildered. His eyes sparkled, with mischief and excitement, and suddenly he was the Jax she had fallen in love with, the boy who hid his face to do good in the world, the boy who stole things and swore with an angel face that it hadn't been his intention at all to do so. The boy, who despite his royal upbringing, stiff posture, and sometimes insufferably proper language, kissed rebelliously.

Gilly looked at him. "I do have a plan." She explained what Wolfington had said to her before the evacuation, watching as he absorbed the information and analyzed it with the air of a prince arranging battle plans. 

She could almost see his mind working, like gears turning in a sharply pristine machine, turning over the issue with ease and untying the knot of what Gilly might have concluded. "You think that he'll be so distracted with wanting to kill us, that he'll be vulnerable to attack."

"Yes," Gilly said. 

"Just us won't be enough. We have to get him murderously angry." Jax's eyes sparkled. "We'll have to lie."

Gilly wanted to smile, but the blackness of the castle and the gravity of the situation suppressed the desire. "Exactly." 

Jax pulled her toward, pressing a slow, dizzying kiss against her mouth. It was forceful, desperate, burning through her with gorgeous heat. She let herself be released, forcing back the desire to kiss him harder. She understood why he'd done it. It had been weeks, even months, since he'd been able to even touch her. They could die here. Jax wasn't going to wait any longer. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

HEATH

Heath pushed the door open. Olivina was sleeping just as peacefully as she had been when Devin came to find him. There had been no discussion of a plan, but Devin and Heath's minds worked in a similar way. They were intertwined, and he knew, without asking, exactly what the plan would be. 

Devin would approach from behind and attempt to use her knife. Should Olivina wake, Heath would provide a distraction. Though he knew Devin would hate it, Heath resolved to make so taunting a distraction that Olivina would send the brunt of her magic at him. He moved to her opposite side, where her closed eyes would first look. Most people were peaceful in sleep. Olivina was not. Lines of fury crossed her face even as she lay, her hair tangled into a knot that looked, rather comically, like a cartoon cloud of anger above her head. 

Devin slowly withdrew the knife Olivina kept by her bed and gripped it into her hands. She met his eyes. Heath did his best to convey reassurance in the nod he gave her. Devin was gentle, and Devin was fierce. She would do what needed to be done, but she would not like it. He asked her with his eyes. Do you want me to do it?

Devin shook her head slightly. He nodded, and watched her with bated breath. Devin's hand shook slightly. She lifted the blade, just above Olivina's heart. She gritted her teeth, plunging the knife downwards-

Olivina snapped awake, seizing Devin's arm and snapping her wrist. Devin cried out, half astonishment, half pain. Heath lept onto the bed, landing hard on Olivina's flaling body. She cast him aside. A thump of pain slammed through him as his body hit the ground. Devin made another stab with the knife. Olivina cast it out of her hand. Fury was a blur in Heath's body, sending adrenaline coursing through his veins. He ran back at Olivina, dodging a spark of magic and wrapped his hands around her neck. He'd bulked up from all the work since she'd last fought him. He was nearly a man now, muscled, and strong. Fear crept into Olivina's eyes, and Heath was meanly glad. He squeezed at her neck-

And she vanished, in a swirl of blue sparks. 

Heath sat up. Devin clutched her wrist, which was bent at an uncomfortable angle. There was no sign of Olivina. He'd had her. Olivina'd been impossibly vulnerable, asleep and taken by surprise. Not only was Devin injured, but they may never get such a chance again. 

Heath swore.