Chapter Twenty Six ♥ "A Dead Man's Wish"

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, a disturbing feeling started at the pits of my stomach, a small whisper at the back of my head saying; was this how I was going to live all my life? With this careless and heartless man!? I turned to give him my back and supported myself on the kitchen counter, tears threatening to surge in my eyes but I pushed them back.

Taking a deep breath, I left the kitchen and was headed to my room when I remembered something on my way. Stopping next to the sofa he sat on, at a distance from him, I waited for him to feel my presence. My senses told me, he’d seen me coming and was now ignoring me on purpose.

“Has my…” I began; my sullen voice grabbed his attention. He glanced at me and then leaned forward to grab the remote control which was placed on the table in front of him. I peered vacantly at him as he lowered the volume and turned to me with his full observance.

“Yes?” he asked, with a quizzical look. I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes.

I was hesitant. My eyes suddenly found the ground. I shouldn’t be asking him this! He’s no one to me! “Has my family called?” I spoke, forcefully averting my eyes to look back at him.

He pursed his lips and a slight frown appeared on his face. “No,” he announced, and whirled around to face the TV. “They don’t know we’re in the country.”

I gawked at him, wide eyed. “You didn’t tell them?” I questioned. “It’s been three days.”

“I haven’t been able to contact anyone.” He put forward, not liking the topic. He picked up the remote, as if he was waiting for me to leave.

“But…” I asserted and then realized there was no point in arguing with him. He wasn’t going to reply any way.

Right that instant, his phone that was placed next to him, buzzed and he picked it up to see he’d received a message. My hopeful eyes watched to see a familiar name and expectant ears yearned to hear a beloved’s name. I waited as he read the message and locked his phone after he did so. But he didn’t tell me what I wanted to know.

“Who was it?” I couldn’t help but ask; curiosity got the best of me. I wasn’t ready to believe that my family would give me away to a stranger and then not try to contact me for three long days. I knew my mother and I knew Hamad. Their patience wouldn’t last that long.

Or maybe it would!

“It’s a friend.” He informed and disappointment replaced the hope that shone in my eyes. “I saw him here after a long time. He’s invited us over for dinner tonight.”

Us? I narrowed my eyes.Is this why he was being so nice? So that I could accompany him in front of his friend and save his great reputation!

“I told him,” he carried on, putting an arm over the sofa’s headrest. “That you cannot make it but his wife insists upon seeing you.” He declared, staring at me, waiting for an answer.

“It’s not that I can’t come, but I won’t come.” I replied, smugly.

His dark eyes scrutinized me for a while. “Fine, I was expecting that.” He gave a short nod. “Suit yourself.” This time he didn’t wait for me to go and raised the TV’s volume.

It astonished me to see that he wasn’t forcing me to go with him. Mostly everything I have done from the last three days have been vigorously done, be it coming to this place or eating food. All of it was unwillingly done. But why wouldn’t he force me now?