Chapter 22 - Rehearse Dinner Party

Start from the beginning

"Don't get cheesy, Liam," I laugh but I keep the tight grip, trying to tell him to shut up.

"Why? Am I embarrassing you?" he questions and I look at Ruth and Arthur, who only seem amused.

"Just a bit," I reply and I lean even closer to him. "But it's okay, I forgive you," I continue and trying to look as if all this is a game between us I stand in my tiptoes and kiss his cheek briefly. His eyes widen in surprise and I turn to look at Ruth and Arthur. They smile sweetly at us.

"Oh, it seems the two of you'll be fine. We leave you for now," Arthur says and with a nod they both leave us.

I sigh heavily and I'm about to release his arm when he stops me. "Don't do that unless you want me to kiss you for real, Isabelle," he warns me and his low tone makes shivers go down my spine.

I don't say a thing because my throat suddenly closes and I can barely manage to swallow the lump I house there now. His eyes are intent on me and kind of threatening and they make my heart race. I can only nod and instead of letting go of my arm, he drags me somewhere else. It seems he takes his sister's words seriously because he introduces me to every person he knows and he keeps me next to him the whole time. After a while he allows me to get my arm back but instead he wraps his around my waist, which is more claustrophobic. At the same time he keeps the glasses of alcohol coming and I start to get worried. Soon the dinner will take place and he has to give a speech, but I don't think he'll be able to do so. He's already quite tipsy, I can notice it because he leans on me. And by the time we are informed to take our places I’m really nervous because I'm eighty per cent sure he's drunk.

The whole time during the dinner I can't stop watching him, trying to stop him from taking another glass but it's pointless and only then I regret having mentioned the contract before we came here. I didn't see ahead and considered how it would affect others. But in all honesty I never imagined he'd get so mad as to jeopardise his sister's rehearse dinner party. I underestimated him. And I'm sure that even if now I try to apologise it won't make a difference.

By the time it's his turn to make the speech I feel like I'm going to throw up because Liam is drunk for sure.

"Oh, isn't it lovely? Everyone looks so happy!" he says, or maybe slurs would be a more adequate verb. "Isn't love great? Isn't it great that my big sister found love and now is getting married?" the rhetoric questions continue. "She's so in love it's even hard to watch sometimes, even for me who can't be around. Don’t be mistaken, it's not that I don't like my family why I don't come now, it's just that I'm always busy. Extremely busy with work but I love you, sis!" I look at him nervously. I'm sure he didn't even remember to write a speech and he's just improvising. And that scares me. "I'm the only son in the family and I was always spoilt by my sisters, but I guess none of them needs me around anymore. Especially Ruth! Now you have Arthur, you have one another and isn't that great?" he sounds bitter and angry, which is making everyone around nervous. I look at Ruth and she keeps the smile but she's as anxious as I am. "And it's real love, he really is with you because he loves you so why would you need me around now? Of course you don't!" he exclaims and I try to grab his wrist but he snaps mine away. "Did you pick the date of your wedding purposely? So I couldn't come?"

I look at him confused and shocked. What is he saying? Why wouldn't he be able to come to his sister's wedding?

Ruth looks at her mother with panic in her eyes, pleading her to do something and she looks as worried as I feel. I guess this is an issue that's been around for a while and I just didn't know about it. Maybe it was another reason why he didn't want to come first. Maybe it was the real reason why the two of them fought.

"But I hope you enjoy that day without me and I wish you now all the happiness in the world with your husband," he continues raising his glass.

"Liam, please," Ruth says, her eyes pleading.

"What? Are you telling me you didn't pick the date my tour starts on purpose so I couldn't come? Whatever, like I care. Just be happy with Arthur. Be happy that you have someone who really likes you instead of being forced to be with you," he adds next. "Cheers!" he exclaims and, without waiting for anyone, drinks the whole content of his glass.

I look at him with horror in my eyes, just like everybody else. Ruth covers her mouth and I notice her eyes welling up. For someone who doesn't know about my relationship with Liam, what he says sounds like a horrible insult to his sister, but I know better and I know he meant that for me and he said it out of anger because I keep reminding him that I'm being forced to be with him, even when he's trying to make things nice for both of us.

Ruth's tears finally fall and Arthur glares at Liam before focusing on his wife-to-be, who now starts to cry for real. Everyone in the family goes to her except for Liam, he doesn't even look remorseful. He just keeps drinking! So I grab his wrist and fight him when he tries to shove me, instead I just pull and drag him out of the room, away from everyone else. Away from the damage he's caused.

I feel so bad for Ruth and Arthur, for the whole family because I know I'm the big responsible of Liam's behaviour tonight. Maybe he had that resentment buried inside and with the alcohol he let it all go, at the worst moment, but if I hadn't been an annoying brat before he wouldn't have drunk that much and would’ve kept it inside a bit longer.

I drag him outside hoping the cold wind will sober him up a bit. Once we are alone I face him, angry and ashamed and worried, all at the same time.

"Liam, you didn't need to do that!" I yell at him and he glares at him.

"Why? I was just telling them how lucky she is that she's with someone who really likes her. Not like me," he replies and I sigh. I knew he said that because of me, I've just confirmed it now.

"Still, it wasn't the place to do it, Liam. You made your sister cry and feel bad. I’m sure she didn't pick the date on purpose. I bet she's been planning this even before your tour dates were announced," I try to reason with him but he shakes his head. "Why did you have to drink so much? I get you're angry with me but you didn't need to hurt others because of that."

"Why shouldn't I? You don't care about what you tell to me," he accuses me and I feel so bad for what I did and what it’s caused.

"I'm sorry," I tell him but he doesn't look at me.

"Don't even try, you don't care. You're just being forced to be here. Even if I try, it doesn't make a difference for you," he complains and I sigh.

"Regardless of what happens between us, you should care about your sister. How could you do this to her?" I scold him and the fact that he only shrugs makes me angry. "Hurt me, insult me, I don't care! But you can't do that to your sister."

"I do what I fucking want!" he shouts back. "It's not like I lied or anything. If truth hurts her it's for a reason."

"Don't be a jerk! You're just trying to be the victim here but accept your share of responsibility. I’m sorry for what I did, but that's not excuse for what you did," I accuse him with my fists tightly clenched at my sides.

"Shut up," he snaps and leaves me there, going inside again and I take ten seconds for myself, to take a deep breath before I go after him.

When I walk inside he's drinking again but that's not the worst part, what’s terrible is the chaos that's broken loose inside thanks to him.

Oh boy.

-:-:-

Well... I think things got a bit complicated but don't think this is the climax of the story. It's just one of them :D

Happy Christmas Eve! An extra update is my Christmas present for you all :D

Bel, xx