chapter four

"sarah, please don't," flora begged the blonde girl

"sarah, please don't," flora begged the blonde girl. "it'll ruin everything between us, please, I'm begging, i'll make it up to you one day," flora said, hoping sarah wouldn't snitch on her. sarah looked at flora, no empathy in her brown eyes.

"you say this as if you two are ever getting back together, you say this as if you still loved him," sarah yelled. "you ruined him, you ruined my brother," sarah sobbed. flora knew the girl was angry, mad, and drunk. she wouldn't let her drunken slurs affect her. 

"i still love him," flora said, looking down at sarah who was much shorter than she was. 

"then why aren't you together?" sarah asked, wiping her tears from her face, trying to control her breathing. flora wiped one last tear from sarah's cheek, before responding slowly.

"sometimes, the power of love is just not enough," flora said thoughtfully, not convincing sarah.

"it's always enough," sarah said simply, walking away from flora.

"she's right you know," rafe said from behind her, wrapping his hands around flora's waist, pulling her close to him. flora almost forgot how much she missed his touch.

"not when it comes to us," she said, turning around to face rafe, placing her arms around his neck, slowly starting to play with his hair.

"you're the one who's giving up on us, i'm right here," the boy said, getting closer to flora's lips.

"you gave up on us too," flora said, letting go of a breath she forgot she was holding. "almost two years ago, you gave up on us," she muttered.

"i'm sorry," rafe said, however, his sorry almost sounded unapologetic, as if he forgot how to truly feel.

"i fucked up tonight rafe, i royally fucked up," flora said, flinching when rafe removed his hands from her waist.

"i know," he muttered, opening flora's door for her, laying down on the girl's bed. 

"how?" she asked surprised.

"i know everything on this island," rafe said with a simple shrug. "i can't believe you fucked jj maybank," he said with a disgusted tone.

"i think i might like him," flora said to the boy, she quickly took her shoes off, before placing her head on his chest, hearing his heartbeat softly.

"but you love me," he said, placing a small kiss on her forehead.

"always," she whispered, closing her eyes.

_______________    

"oh hey," sarah said, catching john b on her family boat. flora could tell he was up to something, but sarah, oblivious as she was, would probably not get it.

"what brings you here?"  flora asked john b.

"he's probably stalking us, or plotting his revenge," sarah said with a small grin.

"yeah sarah, why don't you tell your daddy i blew the bilge on druthers?" john b teased. "everything's good to go, oh and flora, jj's looking for you," he quickly added, not making eye contact with sarah.

"oh really?" flora muttered, a smirk growing on her face. "and where are you going?" she asked john b, hoping he was going wherever jj was.

"to see jj," john b said as if it were obvious.

"then, i'm coming with you," the girl said shrugging.

"what! you can't!" sarah argued, anger consuming her face.

"and why not, princess?" flora asked sarah, hoping she wouldn't bring rafe up.

"rafe would kill you, him and me," sarah muttered coldly,

"rafe knows about jj and i, and he also knows about last night," flora announced, surprising sarah. "your brother and i aren't the type to keep secrets, now if you excuse me, i'd like to go with john b princess," flora finally said, jumping into john b's boat.