"You know the life we were born into doesn't allow for those decisions. You're full of yourself if you think that you could leave that easily without reason. If your father wasn't happy about your decision to leave back then, it would've never been accepted. He didn't send after you or put a hit out on you for breaking the oath because he was scared you would spill his secrets. If I'd left, I would have never made it out of the state, and you fucking know it." He growls. I can hear hurt in his voice. I don't let that change my trust, remembering how I never thought he'd stay with my father but he proved me wrong.

"That's the question, isn't it Nick? Why now? What does the target on his back have to do with me? How the fuck am I supposed to save his dumb drug-addicted ass?" I sigh. "Let the minions he calls family defend him."

"Look, come down the road to the bar, and we can talk more. I have a bad feeling Damien. And that pretty thing you've been chasing has something to do with it." He admits. My blood boils. Is he saying what I think he's fucking saying?

"Does she know who she's being chased by?" Nick asks, his voice sounding hesitant.

"Give me half an hour to slip out," I tell him, ignoring his question. "And Nick?" I grit, "If you're deceiving me, just remember I'm not Caine. I follow through on my threats." I glare towards the man staring at me from the beach.

I watch as he nods, "Boss." He says and quickly ends the call. I should have known this was too good to be true. Why should I expect Caine to just let me leave and not come for me eventually? He hasn't been able to lead that family since he got hooked on drugs. My guess, he's desperate and my question is why does he think I would be able to help?

Walking towards the door, my thoughts go to Ray. Now, the task is getting out of the house without being too suspicious. If Nick is telling the truth, then is it safe to leave her here without my protection? Fuck. I've never had to worry about someone other than my mother. I didn't have to worry much when it came to enemies even then because she was fully trained and knew what she should do in situations like this. Ray is a perfect target for any of the Heart's enemies.

Does Caine know about her? How much does he know about the past two years since I left? Can I trust Nick to tell me the truth or is this all a setup to get me away from Ray so Caine can kill the first woman I've felt more than desire for?

I can't trust it, not with Ray's life on the line. I'll just have to meet Nick and bring Ray with me. This means I'm going to begin my hard truths and it's starting now. If she leaves, it may be for the best. Of course, I'll put protection detail on her, but I'd rather suffer this life without her by my side than live my life knowing she's not alive.

I quietly step through the house, making sure to keep attention off of myself. I need to speak with Ray and get down to that bar and find out what's going on. My father is a fucking idiot, but he has other minions helping him run New Orleans. I won't take a chance on anything with Ray near me.

I open the door, and my eyes land on Ray. She's outside on the deck. She left the sliding glass door open, as she sits on the wooden rail. She's watching the last bit of the sun disappear. If anyone lays a hand on her, they'll be begging for death by the time I'm through with them.

"I need to tell you something," I say, stepping outside. I close the glass sliding door and watch her turn around.

"Is everything ok?" She asks.

"I'm not sure. That was a close friend from New Orleans on the phone. He's here and wants to meet up and tell me something." I inform her. Her face scrunches as she digests what I've said.