Chapter Ten

Rain fell softly in the streets. Middle class and upper class alike fled the rain, recalling the vicious rains that flooded the world and gave rise to this hellish society. Many were driving when the rains began, and even more were caught in the mass of rushing bodies and vehicles.

One particular boy, with grayed hair and piercing black eyes, tripped and fell in front of a speeding car. The rain around him shattered as though each drop were glass. It formed a thick fog and hid the whole collision. Glass windows shattered and metal ripped. But the only scream came from the driver.

Something slender and pitch black shot out of the mist, latching onto a nearby building and hauling the boy up. He hung there limply for a moment, a thick shadowy tail latched onto the building's fire escape. His neck was at an odd angle that hurt to look at.

Slowly but surely, the oil-like substance that made up the tail crept across his body. It reflected no light, if anything looking at it was like trying to see your own hand in pitch black conditions. As the substance reached his neck and head, his spine snapped back into alignment. Where a boy had once been, there was now a dragon-like monster with massive wings. It exuded a smoke that turned all rain it touched to acid.

A single wingbeat, and he was gone.